Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another crappy cell phone pick for you guys...

A few thoughts on making this one, 1. Can you go wrong with a herl wing? 2. The nymphers on the rogue fish copper a lot and 3. I really struggle with tapering a body so I wanted practice.... I know the herl isn't placed perfect for a photo shoot but this will be the first fly I tie on tomorrow morning. Any comments or critiques are appreciated

First photo is with the flash to show the color and the dark is to show the taper I put in the body...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Nice Tie J

Like the sillouette on the wing, should draw some attention fo shor

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
sweet tie. if you take the hurl out of the eye part of the feather and keep rachis attached you will get a much nicer uniformed wing with all the fibers flowing the the same way. nice fly

·
Administrator
18,144 Posts
I really like this fly a lot !!
I've been in a Snow Fly tying mood lately and when I finish this work tour , I will tie up a couple of these Copper Snow flies :smokin:

PM me your address , I have a complete Black Emperor skin and tail . The herl and eyes are a ridiculous bronze complete with overtones of red and orange .
I think you would enjoy tying a herl wing with it :)

As for advice ...... HANG ON !! You will definitely feel a strong pull mid-swing .

Mike

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Kevin, I appreciate the suggestion, I didn't worry to much about this as it's just to fish and IMO it still looks good in the water.

Mike, that would be awesome! I think about the time you told you us about that skin every time I use peacock! I'll get my info to you when I get off the water tonight.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Whatever herl suggests to the fish, it works so frequently that I'm surprised when it doesn't. When tying a Snow Fly-type wing, I use straight herl strands for most of it, with a casual attempt to even the ends, but I finish with a few curved peacock sword fibers on top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts