Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these Heritage light weight shanks? I haven't tied on tubes or shanks but I'm going to give these a go. I picked up some 35mm. Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have and think you'll enjoy them.. keeping in mind a shank is a shank so its kinda hard to compare haha... shoot, even a needle is a great shank to a man in need.

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
I have been tying on heritage shanks for 2 yrs now.I REALLY LIKE EM.
Heritage shanks are superior to the partridge in my opinion, and I do not like the senyo shanks at all.
Tho just about everything else that greg senyo has is top shelf imho.

Heritage shanks and senyo lazer wire
Is a great combo!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have any of you tried tying with Scott Howell's method. Its a small mono loop tied at the rear on top of the shank. Your tippet then goes through the eye then through the small loop and a small piece of junction tubing and ties to your hook with a small loop. The knot is then pulled up into the junction tubing. I hope this makes sense. Rob

·
Registered
873 Posts
Rob,

While you surely could use that method of rigging HAP Classic Shanks, one of the preferred methods (at least for me, at any rate) is to use a loop of 30 or 40 lb. Fire Line as is shown in the below SBS:

Lay down a base of gel spun thread onto the shank.

Lash down the Fireline loop wrapping forward from the back, putting the tag ends thru the eye of the shank.

Pull the Fireline under the shank and wrap it back towards the end of he shank, trim and wrap the thread forward and back again an extra time or two for security’s sake.

Change over from gel spun thread to a lighter gauge to reduce bulk and tie in the marabou tail and schlappen feather.

Dub body and palmer the schlappen forward.

First collar of schlappen.

Second collar of mallard or Egyptian goose flank.

Tie in marabou wing.

Lay in the top wing of mixed flashabou.

·
Registered
873 Posts
SBS part II

Switch back to gel spun thread.

Tie in the ram’s wool or Aussie possum for the head with several hard wraps to secure it and whip finish.

Trim the head for desired profile and you’re all done.

Using this method, the Fire Line is stiff enough to help keep the hook in the proper position. It is also nice for changing out hooks, even with cold, wet fingers! Greg Senyo's wire is also an excellent way to attach hooks and is bullet proof and I enjoy his products very much. I will have to research this other method and find out more about it, you can never have enough tricks in the ol' kit bag!

As with all things tying and spey related, there are MANY ways to skin the proverbial cat and many things to choose from.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Scott's method is designed for a fly that has a top and bottom profile. So the fly doesn't need to be tied in the round. Also it has the feature of the hook tied directly to the tippet, same concept of a fly tied on a tube. He has a video explaining the madness to this method. P.S. nice fly. looks like one of Kevin Feenstras'

·
Carp aficionado
1,214 Posts
I don't know Danimal, I've been tying off the same spool of Fire Line for over 2 years now. Probably would've spent $50 on Senyo wire in that time.

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
BZ- used fireline , beadalon and tried others.
I use senyos lazer wire exclusively now!
Price means squat when yer hook is fouled in da material.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are all your flies tied in the round? What is your method for tying flies that have a top wing or a profile that has a top and bottom. How do you keep the fly riding properly in the water, using the wire loop method? Lead eyes? Is there a way without adding more weight to the fly? I know that's a lot of questions but I'm new to tying on shanks. Thanks, Rob

·
Carp aficionado
1,214 Posts
BZ- used fireline , beadalon and tried others.
I use senyos lazer wire exclusively now!
Price means squat when yer hook is fouled in da material.
Fire Line is as stiff as a pull of Ardbeg. I've never had issue with it fouling. Maybe my loops aren't as long as yours. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
And try 50lb fireline,anything lighter softens easily and the line seems to split apart , pita to change a hook if need to,50lb stays straight longer..would like to try that wire sometime thou..

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
"What is your method for tying flies that have a top wing or a profile that has a top and bottom. How do you keep the fly riding properly in the water, using the wire loop method?"

Your wing is what keeps the fly on the desired plane. A good well balanced tie will ride / swing correct.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Fireline fused version works much better than the standard braided variety. it stays stiffer when wet and is easier to swap hooks. That being said, the Senyo wire is kick ass!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts