Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a newbie to this site. I have been using single handled rods for steelhead for 10+ yrs now, 10ft 8wt Loomis gl4 (green blank). I am just about to purchase a new rod got my eye on Heritage 6/7/8 wt 12 ft. Is this to light for the Rivers out here in the NW?. Should I move to a 8/9 wt for heavier lines, will be throwing all types of flies summer and winter. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

·
Registered
234 Posts
for your first rod..u might want a little bit of a "all purpose" rod... perhaps something in the 13' -14' range is a 8-9wt.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Perfect

I fish that rod. Phil calls it a 6/7/8 as a fantasy. It is a true 7/8. Put a 550 grain line on it and fish away. I used a 550 Hardy head with a sink tip and is was perfect. With a Power Taper even better. The best Spey from Heritage so far, indeed.

I have a couple around the shop you are welcome to take out fishing to try first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heritage

Thankyou very much! I had a feeling the way Phil described that rod it would be worth a look at. By the way I belong to the Northwest Atlantic salmon Fly guild only been a couple of times due to my work schedual. I have heard much about you but I am sorry I dont know were your shop is. Would love to come down to take a look at that rod. THANKYOU ERIK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts