Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my hopes in initiating the nano-clave a few weeks ago was that we would be able to drum up commercial interest. With commercial interest, manufacturer's reps and folks from the local fly shops would show up with rods and lines to cast, contests, instructors for clinics, etc. This, of course, would be in addition to the opportunity for a bunch of folks to get together and thrash about in really frigid water.

Well, River Run Anglers in Carnation (a fly shop specializing in spey fishing - http://www.speyshop.com) is interested in participating in the next spey clave. Aaron Reimer, the owner, is very supportive of what we're doing, i.e., just a group of folks getting together to cast rods, show off a little, and learn a lot. Aaron is also a casting instructor and will be available for casting evaluations and casting instruction (free!!!). Along with his expertise, he will be bringing a bunch of rods and lines for us to try out.

I've also learned from Aaron that a group of guys calling themselves "Northwest Speycasting" is interested in participating. They are just an informal group of Speyrod fanatics who get together to have fun. Evidently, you guys know who you are, but I've never heard of you before this. I want to join. What's the secret handshake?

Anyway, I'm announcing a "Spey Day". It is somewhat more than a nano-clave now that we have at least one commercial participant. The date will be Saturday, November 30th beginning at 11:00AM at the confluence of the Snoqualmie and Tolt rivers in Carnation, Wa. Like the Ben Howard Boat Launch, this location has a nice long pool bordered by a gentle gravel bar. But unlike the Ben Howard launch, the bar is river right, favoring right handers this time.
If you are unable to make it, do not be concerned. We'll try to have one every 3 months or so, alternating between River Right (Carnation, etc.,) and River Left (Ben Howard, etc.,)

Also, bring your single-hander! I've just learned the Turbo Spey, a spey cast with a single-hander that incorporates a haul on the forward cast. You single-hander guys NEED to learn this. You can really jack some line out there with very little effort and no false casting.

Cheers,

Michael
P.S. I am, in no way, affiliated with River Run Anglers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Outstanding!

Looks like I'll be able to make it to this one!

I'll plan on bringing some interesting spey goodies for y'all to try.

See you there!

Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
TENTATIVE

Ya know, I might just be able to make that one...put me down as a probable...thanks for setting this up!!!

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
WE GOING TO HAVE FUN

First I would like to thank Highlander, Nwspeycasting, LUV2SPEY, BeeGee, Snowman and Old Rich for talking me into becoming a Sponsor for this Speyday (min –speyclave.)
Highlander and I have been beating gums for some time about doing something and with help of LUV2SPEYalong with Nwspeycasting doing the organizing we may just pull this off.
I have had some e-mail as to who is invited.
What we are just a bunch of Guys getting together to Cast Speyrods and to help one another.
So in this light everyone is invited, if you work in Shop, are a Rep, new Speycasters, seasoned vet or just wanting to have some fun come on down.
One of the big concerns of some of the people is what is in it for me or why am I sponsoring the Clave or do we need sponsor.
The answer is that I want to give something back to group of my Fellow Brothers of the Spey who have given me more that you will ever know.
The biggest question is who will bring the Krispey Kreams?????????
SPEYBUM

:smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fatten us up for the Winter Steelhead Season

I'm on the hook for the Krispy Kremes.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
25 Posts
Scratch that...

I'm off...s*%t...no can do...my wife's inlaws are coming to town (Corvallis, OR)...thanks again for setting this up...I'll try to catch the next one....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I can make this one

I know I need to work on my casting.

A buddy who is also a spey newbie will be in town with his family. He, and perhaps his 12 year old son, will be there, too.

Stu

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, luv2, you might not know us, but a group of three of us were at the Ben Howard outing. We had a great time talking and exchanging ways to cast a fly. So, on the 30th, I will see how many of the group I can round up to have other great day. I know Brain S and I will be there. Also, ask the group how the outing at Thomson river went. :)

nwspeycasting
Rimmy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Spey Dey

Just getting started with the idea of Spey fishing. Got the info from Topher, and LLBEAN rep on the East Coast. He had more info for me than some of the guys I've met on the Eastside. Hoping to get some good info on tackle, techniques and of course the steelies...

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Spey Day, 30 Nov

I was out at Carnation where the Spey Day is scheduled today. River is up but still plenty of room for a number of people to cast as long as no one ties on a hook. Stopped in and asked Speybum about what would happen if the rains continue and the river blows out. He said "no problem" we can just walk over to the the adjacent McDonald Park and cast on the grass. Lots of room.

Looks like we will have a good turn out with lots of rods and lines to try. EVERYONE is welcome.

I am really looking forward to the gathering. The last one was great fun.

Rich

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Part of It

I will be in the Seattle area to visit family , so I will be able to attend part of it.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Good times

KRISPY KREAMS
Just read where Krispy Kreams stock just paid $.17 a share dividend,
Must have heard about out Speyclave and Krispy Kream Festival
:chuckle:
SPEYBUM

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Have a good time!

Will be back east for the holiday so I will not be able to make it. Next time though....

-sean

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
IT'S JUST ABOUT TIME

Saturday November 30, 2002 is the big day.
I will start setting up about 10 and the games begin at 11:00.
See you there.
SPEYBUM:smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts