Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using your various suggestions, I've tied up a non-tube tube fly using a cut off #2 Mustad 79580, with a small bead tied to the shank to hold the hook sleeve.

Many thanks!

P.S.: If this doesn't work, please remember that I'm a techno-peasant.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Try Again

Don't give up. The internet must have milions of attempted posted photos drifting about. Try again or ask the experts.

Malcolm

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Dopyou know how large the image is? It needs to be under 30k to upload right. Let me know and if you want you can send it to me and I can re-size it for you.

-sean

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Now that is actuaally very cool!

But if I may make a suggestion: use a short shanked 'ring eye' hook rather than a Gammi pictured. Fly will track and hook set better.
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sorry I don't have any FF catalogs lying about.

But both Mustad and Loop make a #4 short shanked, ring eye hook that work very well with tube flys. These two seem to be the 'choice' of most. Folks in Europe tend to favor using a small treb. hook. Hit Mark B's FlyfishingUSA site (he's a board sponcr.), pull up tube flys on his site and you'll get the hook info you need.
fae

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
J.R.

Here's something to think about. Scott Baker-McGarva, the President of the SSBC showed me some of his "non-tube" tube flies. Aside from being deadly looking, he used an interesting hook set-up. Similar to you he used a cut-off hook shank (though it was a straight eye), but rather than put on a tubing hook-holder he tied a loop of 50lb Fireline off the back of the fly and looped a small very sharp Red Gammy hook in the loop. If you've seen the standard salmon bucktail set-up, this is it. The only difference is that it is super-braid rather than heavy mono.

This is a great idea, especially for long flies - you can hang the hook wherever you want, yet keep a short body. As well, it allows the use of the many excellent short shanked octopus style hooks that are easy to find.

·
Registered
417 Posts
credit where credit is due

Mike Kinney's been tying flies as described in Kush's post above for years.

Stay off my river.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jumbo,

I'm not trying to give credit or take anyone's credit - just trying to pass along something cool I saw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts