Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a thread over on the "Spey Basics" board ("classifying spey lines") it has been reported to the world that my casting skill and knowledge leaves much to be desired.

In short, my casting sucks.

Are you like me? Does your casting suck? Do you need help dealing with this? If so, there's a new website you should be aware of. It's designed to help anyone like me who makes bad casts and is afraid that someone might find out about it.

If this sounds like you, help is only a click away. Visit us at mycastingsucks.com and find peace.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hello, my name is debarb, and I'm a sucky caster. It's actually worse than that: my casting sucks so badly that it has been suggested that we replace the word "sucks" with "debarbcasts."
So, for example, instead of saying "Dana's casting sucks" we'd say, "Dana's casting debarbcasts." My casting actually makes Dana's casting look good, no matter how much Dana may claim that his casting sucks (debarbcasts).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hooking a fat Steelead in front of hundreds of fellow Spey casters and only keeping him on for a couple seconds...now that sucks. And my casting really does suck. I would chime in on the new page, but I don't want to talk about it. I can't take that kind of pressure in front of the thousands who come here to Spey pages.

Matt (the I can't fish on the river until everyone is gone) Burke

·
Registered
499 Posts
my casting sucks

Some of you may remember the picture of the Precious Moments fishing doll with the line wrapped all around him. Thats me!! Ugg I hate to admit it but sometimes you gotta own it. :hehe:
I have been considering only fishing at night so no one can see me.

Skilly

·
Registered
227 Posts
No negtaive self talk!

Admittedly, my casting sucks, but I know that it is not my fault! It's my equipment!, loose boots, overloaded fishing vest, incorrect leaders & flies, innapropriate line(s), lack of gloves, arthritis in the right elbow etc. I WILL NOT ACCEPT OWNERSHIP because it's not my fault!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Even the new puppies won't let me feed or pet..

them any more. The bedroom door now has a lock ... and double keyed .... SOBBBBBBB.

Why, someone saw me casting and started putting notes (well a scratched message) in telephone booths around town. "For a good time casting DON'T CALL ...."

One the street I note even complete strangers will possition themselves to assure there is something large and protective between them and I. Window drapes flutter, I didn't see the eyes, but I know they're watching.

I tried introducing my self on the river as Dana Stern .... the reply:
"Oh he's the guy with the suckkie cast ... but you're far, far worse."

I think I need to contact an Atty. for a name change, and move far, far way.:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
My casting sucks and to make it worse it is stuck in retrograde.
A couple of years ago, when I was still just learning to cast, My wife and I made a trip from Oregon up to the peninsula. I tried my hand in the Hoh National Park area. It wasn't long before some tourist pulled over and started vidio taping me, as if I were part of the National Park wildlife. So now my casting is part of some tourists memories. I can only pray I was edited out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm such a sucky caster that:

Yesterday on the Sandy Portland General Electric tried to hook up a power generator to the butt end of my Burkie.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
My casting sucks

I confess. As a spey caster, I suck. Someday, I want to have beautiful, graceful casts that I've seen so many times. Putting the fish on the hook is the easy part, making it look graceful doing it is another. I long to be a good caster. But until that day, my casting sucks. Hopefully if I make Fred's clinic, I'll be a "half sucking caster". :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought a new rod would help. It did for about a dozen casts. Now my casting sucks again.

You woulda thought it would be in my genes because I'm Japanese like Nobuo.

Leland.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The sound of two hands sucking

My name is Carl,

and I began with a one-hander...never could manage to cast well. I did get that video that Dana recommended, so now my one-handed suck casts go further...but there's no doubt they suck.

A few years ago, I thought maybe using two hands would help my casting. My faith in the long rod has brought my sucky casting to new heights (and lows, bushes, trees, clothing, flesh, etc.)

One positive is that other fishin' folk on the river stay further away than before. That's good, 'cause they can't see the fish laughing. When I see little bubbles rising to the surface in the river, I know THAT is the sound of two hands sucking. HELP!:(

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Hi my name is Kevin and my casting really, really SUCKS!
I hope everyone especially PKK can forgive me.
Sincerly,
Loser.

:razz:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Hello, my name is Moose,

And my casting sucks.
It has been compared to an old blind woman flailing away at a bee with a broom. Onlookers have rushed to my assistance fearing I was having a siezure. There is nothing more humiliating than having to fend off a crowd of rescuers with a broom. I once had to wear a size 2 woolly bugger impaled in my ear for 3 days, claiming it was a new fashion craze, to avoid the humiliation of admitting accidental self impalement. They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, only 11 steps to go. Knowing me, I will probably tumble down those steps injuring my casting arm. But then at least I'd have an excuse!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear this guys.

My casting can be summed up in one word....awesome:devil:

-sean

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Moose...

Not to worry, after you start using your new CND your casting will get a lot better.:smokin:

·
Registered
630 Posts
If I could cast half as good as Dana I would die a happy man!!!!!!

Brian

·
Registered
229 Posts
Daily Affirmation

Hi Dana and all,

Whenever my casting sucks, I recite the following daily affirmation from that caring nurturer Stuart Smalley in order to generate some positive casting karma:

"I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!"

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Went fishing today on the middle Skagit with my wife and Golden Retriever, Kobe. My casting sucked so bad that even Kobe rolled around in dog laughter, then barked at me to stop already. My wife couldn't help belly laughing at the antics of Kobe and my sucky casting. She and Kobe were most appreciative of me being 100 ft up river from them when I threw my double spey D loop straight back onto the gravel behind me!! Kobe thought I had tossed something for him to fetch though, so I guess it wasn't totally a bad thing.

I couldn't even keep a steelhead on when I hooked one. So in addition to my casting sucking, my ability to hold on to fish sucks too.

I remain with pain and misery from the hook in my back, one sorry caster, snif...., snif...

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Brian-
And if I could cast half as good as you, I would die a happy a man.

So given the math, (1/2 * 1/2), if I could cast as a quarter as good Dana, I would die a happy man. :(

A customer once asked me if I knew how to cast yet because he witnessed me on the river not too long after reading advice I had given on this very website and thought I had no business giving advice given the casting abilities that he saw. :eek:

I have had the pleasure of recieving instruction and/or fishing with the best casters in the World and my casting still sucks...but throw a single-hander at me and it is a total differant story. Oh well...one of these days.

But hey!...its all about what you do with the fly when its in the water and not in the air. If you get your fly to the fish and present it how a fly should be presented who cares if you look like a monkey f*cking a basketball in the process. :devil: :smokin:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts