Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a group of older ties for Salmon via an estate and have been puzzling over their origins. About half of the flies are beyond useable so I have been stripping them down to the iron as the big attraction for me are the hooks themselves.

Some of these seem to be Partridge M in about a size 2/0, maybe bigger. The others are a mystery - I was thinking the smaller down eye hooks might be Partridge CS2 S.E.B. but they don't look to have a limerick bend to them. The two up eye hooks with the limerick bend have a taper to the shank towards the beginning of the loop eye. Great hooks! But where did they come from?

Please take a look and let me know if you have an ID. These are all destined to become new ties but I would really like to know the vintage!

Thanks!

Steve Cole

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great finds.....

I think these are much older than the Partridge hooks you mentioned. Most likely Pre-war stuff.

Without closer examination, I would guess the limerick hooks you mentioned to possibly be Hardy oval wire low water hooks. Without digging into my personal collection to check, I recall them appearing more tapered than normal because of the oval wire cross section.

The down eye hooks could be from many makers, possibly Farlows, Wm. Bartleet, or Forrest of Kelso. These are likely quite old. The longer shank low water down eye hooks are some of my absolute favorites! The standard shank low waters closely resemble some Farlows Crossfield (of Black Silk fame) pattern hooks I have.

Enjoy them..... These don't come along often.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think the only way to know for sure is to see them in person, should I PM my address??? Haha AWESOME SCORE! This is the stuff we are dream about!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies!

I am going to be able to get better photos this weekend. I want to see if I can get a view from the top side so that taper I mentioned can be seen

Thanks again, guys

Steve Cole

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some of the Estate Flies

Thought I would share a pic of some of this group of ties that I was able to somewhat revive to their original state. They are in great condition for their age!

Thanks

Steve Cole

Ps sorry for the less than stellar quality here... Having to make do with the iPhone camera

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated Photos

I am adding some better (I hope) pics of examples of these hooks, plus I added definitely improved photos of some of the flies (in amazing condition considering the age!)

Hoping the new photos of the hooks will help with possible ID. The down eye hook is of lighter wire while the up eye iron is Big and Heavy.

Thanks again, all

Steve Cole

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts