Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this line and casting system...I have the Rio 650 gr. 9/10 Skagit line and 9/10/11 five and 10' cheaters. I'll be using this system on either the Sage 7141 or 9141...I assume that I attach a sink tip to the cheater along with a short leader...Correct? I have many different sinking tips from Airflo and WC that I also assume will work. Am I correct in my assumptions? Any thoughts on sink tip lengths? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Rule of thumb for skagit is to have the line system 3 to 3.5 times rod length.

For a 14 foot rod that equates to between 42 and 49 feet. The skagit head is 27 feet so use cheaters/tips in some combination to get to that range of lengths.

A 15 foot tip by itself would give you 42 feet - if you wanted it a bit longer you could add a 5' cheater. For shorter tips you will likely want either a 5' or 10' cheater.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Spend a day trying the various tips and cheaters you have

takes two hands said:
New to this line and casting system...I have the Rio 650 gr. 9/10 Skagit line and 9/10/11 five and 10' cheaters. I'll be using this system on either the Sage 7141 or 9141...I assume that I attach a sink tip to the cheater along with a short leader...Correct? I have many different sinking tips from Airflo and WC that I also assume will work. Am I correct in my assumptions? Any thoughts on sink tip lengths? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Spend a day trying the various tips and cheaters you have, have fun and keep a little notebook about what works very well, so-so and not so well.

A little hint re the 7141 and the 650 Skagit, it works very well with a 15' floating Rio Tip and a 15' Rio steelhead Leader and my substitute floating cheater. Try your various cheaters to find out what works best. Don't be afraid to go longer with a leader for dry and intermediate flies. I just got a news letter from John Hazel re using the Vision Skagit lines and some very long leaders past the 15' level.

Have fun and let us know what works for your rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts