Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on the St. Joe here in Michigan today to do some fishing with my new LS2 1408 which I have lined with a Delta 8/9 multi tip. I had one problem though. I still was not getting deep enough even with the fastest sinking tip that comes with that package. What are my options from here without having to buy another line? I bought this line in hopes it would cover most applications. The Joe is flowing pretty strong right now but I was not even fishing a very deep spot "was fishing the run below Berrien Dam". Would I be able to fish any other sink tips with this line? Any information you guys may have for this rookie spey caster would be much appreciated.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
to get down in good flows, I use size "medium" barbell eyes on hooks (not plastic tubes) with sparsely tied flies, and manipulate the cast/swing to get greater depth. Cast across or slightly upriver, let the thing sink, then bring the fly under light tension by slowly lowering the rod tip and/or feeding line into the drift as it swings. This is highly simplified, but covers the essence. If you cast down and across and immediately bring the fly under strong tension, you'll never get depth. Volumes can and have been written on line manipulation elsewhere, and every piece of water is a little different, just become the fly and get down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts