Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to speycasting. I purchased a used Sage 8136 and am looking for an appropriate reel and line. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
A Lamson Velocity 4 will work nicely on that rod. For a an all around versatile line I would go for a WC 8/9/10.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am new to speycasting. I purchased a used Sage 8136 and am looking for an appropriate reel and line. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks
I just picked up a lightly used 8136 for $370 I'm planning on using a velovity 4 as well. how much did you spend on your rod?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the input. I paid US 350
I paid a little more $370 just curious what they were worth I haven't seen a whole bunch forsale to compare. I have 5 other lamsons a P2, LS3.5, LS2, V3and a V2 for my single handers and they are awsome reels very reliable and low maintance. What lines are you planning on casting on your 8136? Cheers!

Respectfully -CamD

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would avoid Lamson. Try a used Ross Big Game, a Daniellson HD is a great choice or a Marquis Salmon 2 for a non-drag reel. Galvan's are nice, too

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Danielsson HD and LW reels have in my and many other opinion (North America and Scandinavia) the best, sealed, smooth like a butter drag system available on the market. It is maintenance free, looks great and cost less then others due to direct sale from the factory.
maintenance free and cost less then other due to direct sale from factory.

Zb

·
Registered
417 Posts
agreed. if you fish with a drag, HD and LW are the among the best out there - and the price is ridiculous.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would avoid Lamson.

Please elaborate, I've had great success with them so far. What would cause you to avoid them?

Respectfully -CamD

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bad clutch

I own a Lampson 3.5 and it has a clutch that tends to corrode and malfunction. I have replaced over 4 clutches so far. That's why you were given advice to avoid the reel. FishHawk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks!

That's what I was looking for a solid reason for disliking them! If the clutches are for no reason giving up the ghost and you are handling them properly i.e.. being careful not to allow any moisture in to the clutch while changing spools, etc. , then your reason are very legitimate and I've now lost some of my enthusiasm for lamson. However Because many fisherman have personal preferences I don't give much credence to an opinion like "I'd avoid lamson" period without an explanation. I think I may have a brand new V4 and a LS4 for sale:eek: ,Reliability is paramount to me. Fishhawk which 3.5 did you have Radius,Velocity, Lite Speed or ULA. Nothing worse than equipment letting a guy down:tsk_tsk: Thanks again guys I value all the constructive input this board has given me so far, CHEERS!!!

Respectfully -CamD

·
loco alto!
2,993 Posts
the original Lamson LP series (not made anymore) is well known for having clutch problems, I experienced a failure on false albacore :whoa: Too bad, as these reels were attractive externally (simple) and had a nice purr.

the newer sealed drag models also have some reports of allowing water in and corroding the innards, though supposedly this has been remedied.

K

·
0 Posts
I have owned a Waterworks ULA Force reel and must say that the Nautilus, Danielsson, & Galvan reels I have owned have better drag systems. I would say it will come down to personal preference, but I just feel the drag is a little smoother on the 3 reels I mentioned. Either way I would think you would be fine with whatever choice you make as they all have lifetime warranties.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I have 5 other lamsons a P2, LS3.5, LS2, V3and a V2 for my single handers and they are awsome reels very reliable and low maintance. What lines are you planning on casting on your 8136? Cheers!
Please elaborate, I've had great success with them so far.
Mac19, I am curious to know why you would start disliking a product that by your statements above has given stellar service? I'm not saying what has been posted isn't so, I'm just asking why that info is more important to you then what you know from personal experience. If you search Spey Pages long enough you will find posts that "dis" every piece of tackle made. I would take personal experience over that any day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Loss of Enthusiasm

your reason are very legitimate and I've now lost some of my enthusiasm for lamson. However Because many fisherman have personal preferences I don't give much credence to an opinion like "I'd avoid lamson" period without an explanation.
I have to agree with you 100% poppy nothing trumps personal experience. However I take all constructive criticism into account especially when wading into uncharted territory(steelheading). By no means am I selling my lamson trout reels. their track record sands on it's own. As for swaying my opinion on the Larger V4 and LS4 I have zero experience with Lamson and large game fish hence the reason for pestering you guys with questions about setting up my spey rod correctly. I own multiple lamsons currently because they perform flawlessly under their current fishing conditions, this being the reason I own several. I stated that "Reliability is paramount to me" and for this reason if Lamson's cannot perform flawlessly under the rigorous conditions of steelheading then they definitely are not the reel I'll be putting on my spey rod. I'm hoping others will chime in with V4 and LS 4 personal experiences good and bad. Hopefully this explanation clears things up and thanks again for the great resource, CHEERS!!!!

Respectfully -CamD

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting................

I own and use a large (5") Waterworks reel. Also an extra spool. Use it on
(lots of) Chum every fall and (quite a few) steelhead every winter. I've had this reel since 2002. No problems of any kind, ever. Drag as smooth as butter (at least the kind I'm used to spreading). Maybe mine is the exception? Maybe not.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had a Lamson LS 4 and a 3.5. The 4's innards corroded twice, the 3.5 nary a time. Lamson wouldn't refund my shipping charges when I sent it in for a replacement, not even on a 10 month old reel. Last replacement was suppposedly w/ a new and improved clutch/seal, but I sold both the 3.5 and 4, and went with 2nd-hand Tibors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another nod for Danielson/Loop HD

I've owned several the Loop Evotec HD & LW reels (NKA Danielson) for several years now. Beautifully made and as one friend puts it "priced without all the B***S***":cool:

·
Sponsor
47 Posts
I too have seen the troubles of the seal failure mentioned in this thread. My LS3.5 has been repaired twice and has performed well recently. The reliance on an o-ring is the weak point in the design. My V2, LS2 ans LS1 only see fresh water and have been more reliable. I won't buy anymore but still enjoy fishing with the ones i have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts