Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy I am new to spey fishing and would like to know what setup to use for the surf. We have a huge blitz on the way as we speak and I will try my luck at the surf this weekend FRI-SAT. I am wondering what setup to use I have a 12 1/2 foot TFO 8wt and would like to use a shooting head system if possible. I am going to be over head casting and fishing jetties probably.

Thanks guys!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Simon calls for an Outbound WF 10 (425grns) line for overhead on that rod. In my view that would be a good place to start.

A WC VersiTip 8/9/10 with the center section removed should also work well and give you multi tip versatility.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
the Outbound sails, but I didn't like the stretchy integrated running line, so replaced it with Airflo Polyshoot XT on Sean's advice, great stuff.

It is hard to find 38' heads on their own w/o integrated running lines. It so happens that a lot of full-length flylines on the market have a belly around 38' (or close enough) if you dig into the mfg specs. For the most part they make very good working shooting heads by cutting off the running line. I've done this with SA Wetcel full sink lines, and Airflo Clear Intermediate "striper" and "tarpon" tapers. I haven't done it with floating lines - I prefer to fish these as full floaters.

Taking scissors to a brand new line just to make a shooting head is a tough pill to swallow, but easier if it only cost $20. eBay is good for that, considering mfgs generally don't make 35-40' heads, except I think (perhaps?) some of the European mfgs make more expensive spey shooting heads that can be cut down.

Your rod can probably handle 35' of LC-13 as well, provided you slow down.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mr. Winston, if you go with 30' shooting heads, I think you will want 11-weights for that particular rod. You will need to get your hands on one to try it out.

I used the Polyshoot running line fishing my two-handers from the surf for years-It is very good stuff. I have one tip for you-Natural casting motion often puts twists in the running line. If you stretch and straighten your line prior to fishing, it works great. If, after a while you begin to get tangles when shooting line, you need to take the twists out of the line again. If you get 2 or 3 tangles in the space of a few minutes, take the time to get the twists out, it is worth it.

Have fun!

Jay Horton

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SSPey said:
the Outbound sails, but I didn't like the stretchy integrated running line, so replaced it with Airflo Polyshoot XT on Sean's advice, great stuff.

It is hard to find 38' heads on their own w/o integrated running lines. It so happens that a lot of full-length flylines on the market have a belly around 38' (or close enough) if you dig into the mfg specs. For the most part they make very good working shooting heads by cutting off the running line. I've done this with SA Wetcel full sink lines, and Airflo Clear Intermediate "striper" and "tarpon" tapers. I haven't done it with floating lines - I prefer to fish these as full floaters.

Taking scissors to a brand new line just to make a shooting head is a tough pill to swallow, but easier if it only cost $20. eBay is good for that, considering mfgs generally don't make 35-40' heads, except I think (perhaps?) some of the European mfgs make more expensive spey shooting heads that can be cut down.

Your rod can probably handle 35' of LC-13 as well, provided you slow down.
SSpey I may try cutting down an older line as I have tons of single hand lines laying around. The current cost of gas and decent steelhead fishing has forced my to look toward a budget solution. I have 10-8wt intermediate, sinking and floating lines. I would not be opposed to making a custom line and might actually enjoy the process.

Currently I have a 400 gr dept charge line on a reel would that work alright?

Thanks again guys your making this alot easier for this newbie to Spey fishing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benjamin said:
hallo,
if you are able to get them over in the us try vision ace for me the best SH
greetings
ben
Danke schoen

Ben will look into those heads...

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I don't own that rod, but most spey rods need to be "uplined" by 2-3 wts to load when overhead casting with single hand lines. I doubt your 8 wt spey rod will overhead cast standard 8 wt shooting heads with enough punch for surf fishing. The 400 gr head should be close, and the 30' length will work ok, but a longer head (closer to 40') will carry better in the air.

Outbounds tend to run a little heavy compared to single hand lines, so that the recommended Outbound (WF10) for your rod at 425 grains weighs close to many WF11 single hand lines with 35-40' heads

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SSPey said:
I don't own that rod, but most spey rods need to be "uplined" by 2-3 wts to load when casting single hand lines overhead. I don't expect your 8 wt spey rod will overhead cast standard 8 wt shooting heads with enough punch for surf fishing. The 400 gr head should be close, and the 30' length will work ok, but a longer head (closer to 40') holds its shape better in the air and allows longer casts.

Outbounds tend to run a little heavy compared to single hand lines, so that the recommended Outbound (WF10) for your rod at 425 grains falls between many WF10 and WF11 wt single hand lines having 35-40' heads.
Thanks SSPey I cant wait till this weekend! The bigums are on their way... I have got to tie my a** off tonight.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You could get a 10# DT of your choice and cut it to the required head length after trying ot out. You might use a sinking head and use a floating running line. Surf is murder, too wet and cold, and dumpers dump. VBg. MaxG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts