Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I had my first custom built done and the guy screwed up a couple things. I'm so upset by them I actually considered throwing it away but that's over reacting. They guy who built it can't fix it. He is elderly and and has pretty much lost the use of his hand due to an injury. That said here is the deal.

1. He put a hook keeper on it and its all jacked up and needs to be replaced or removed.
2. Instead of painting my name on it he used a label and misspelled my name.

So my question is this. Can you sand the finish down and remove these things without screwing it up? Then can you re-finish the blank there and not make it look like hell? I'd consider giving it to another builder to fix but I've spent enough already and might as well fix it/trash it myself.

It's a beautiful Sage Method Switch 9wt. I wanted to buy a new lower section from Sage but they said no way since its custom. Salmon and big steel will be in the river I want to fish next month.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It should be possibly to warm the finish and strip off with a razor to remove the label and hook keeper. To repair I would wrap thread to cover any damage. Might be a tough feat it you don't have any rod building experience, as longer wraps are hard to finish with an even coat. I would recommend finding another local rod builder and have them fix.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Removing and replacing the bookkeeper, or covering the area with a decorative wrap wouldn’t be that difficult, the sticker Michu be tougher (although, again, cover it with a decorative wrap).

I wouldn't’ talk to Bob and Steve, unless you want it to look freaking awesome afterwards😉. Besides, their shop is all the way down in Central Point...

Seriously, if it’s only appearance, why not fish it, then repair it once the season slows down? Make up your mind then about how pretty you want it to be.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Yeah, just take it into them. There is no way you could do it better or faster, and probably not even cheaper starting from scratch. Just be careful - suddenly realizing that you have them in your backyard may start you fantasizing about all kinds of custom stuff, and could lead to even more rods. :)

Be careful you don’t end up leaving with a cool feather inlay in the repair spot to boot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the great suggestions. Hey Vic in Hawaii your inbox is full. Tried to get back to you.

Thanks again all.

Reactions: fish0n4evr

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,133 Posts
check P/M's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bring it into the shop <> Will probably take 30 minutes max net time to correct.

... Or we can suggest a do it your self.

4843 Industry Dr
Suite 102
Central Point, OR

541- 770-4766

Meiz
Thanks no wonder people say good things about you sir. I think I have a fix for my problem though.
Although we will certainly talk about a trout spey at some point.
What are your shop hours?
Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not to be jerk, but you hired an elderly man with one good hand to custom build an expensive blank? You've already got it figure out but if you just snapped it across your knee you could send it back to Sage and pay the warranty replacement...but it would be the blank section only. Don't despair, it will turn out fine. And it will still be an awesome fishing rod even if your name is spelled wrong. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts