Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to spey pages, does anybody out there have a similar rod,
that can help me line it, i'm looking for every type u know, skagit, scandi, long belly, short belly etc,,,any help will surely
be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I fished this rod extensively in BC last fall; it casts well with a 575 Skagit flight or Skagit Max if you want to throw sink tips.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7136 sage one

Yes, I do want to throw tips I'll check those out also, does anybody have more input on lines for this rod. Thanks spey casters.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Sage 7136 ONE,,,, very nice smooth casting design.

AFS 7/8 460gr
Steelhead Scandi 450gr
Skagit Flight 525gr (I have use up to 575gr Flight but prefer lighter lines with tips)
Rage 480gr

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7136 sage one

Have a 480 rage, tried it out at the pond, tried a 510 also both felt good, have not cast other suggestions yet.

·
Fly Away
94 Posts
575 gr. Skagit

Hi all, new to spey pages, does anybody out there have a similar rod,
that can help me line it, i'm looking for every type u know, skagit, scandi, long belly, short belly etc,,,any help will surely
be appreciated, thanks
I second the suggestion re. the 575 gr. Skagit. It's a sweet combination. But if you really want to see what that rod can do with Skagit heads, try a RIO Skagit 550 gr. iFlight. It's a cannon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rio Flight discontinued?

I think the Flight might be disco'd. Just curious if you or anyone has tried the "iFlight" (the intermediate equivalent) in 525gr for the Sage One 7136? Wondering if it might feel the same and also be a good match.

Sage 7136 ONE,,,, very nice smooth casting design.

AFS 7/8 460gr
Steelhead Scandi 450gr
Skagit Flight 525gr (I have use up to 575gr Flight but prefer lighter lines with tips)
Rage 480gr

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
453 Posts
My lines:

Rio Scandi 460 (update of the AFS 7/8)
Rio Unispey 7/8 (the 6/7 is a lot of fun too)
Rio Skagit Max 525
Rio Skagit iFlight 500

The Rio Skagit Max Short 550 or the Airflo Skagit Switch 540 are really nice lines for tossing T-17/T-20 if the river requires some serious dredging.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i have a Sage ONE 5 and a Sage ONE 8. Like them a bunch! I love the switch chucker on them[for Skagit]. I have a #5 on the 5wt and a #8 on the 8wt..therefor you should probably get the #7!

Just a few days ago I put a RIO Scandi 34ft 510gr on my 5wt. I was in regular shoe's...on edge of water...oyster shells catching my line...not as much 'line'stick' in water..etc, etc. But, I had some impressive Scandi casts. You mite want to try that somewhere in one size up!
After liking the RIO Scandi I started to look at some other lines I have that I have not tried. I think maybe I should go to POPPY's Clave and try the SHORTHEAD SPEY 8/9 on my 8 ,?, even though I was told it was for my TCX 7. I could see some good folks...Probably get some ideas and I could teach some things I do!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
7136 sage one

Sorry for coming back so late, using a FF 7/8 and the Rage 480, working pretty good for me, Thanks u guys for all the feedback.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh... Thats heavy!

I use Nextcast FF 45 6/7 on my Sage One 8136. Perfect match.

You dont need a heavy line to load these rods. I belive FF45 5/6 will load youre 7136 well.

Anyway, if it works for you :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
7136 One

I've used an SA 550 Skagit or the newer Rio Skagit Max 525 on mine. It also casts the 7 wt. Rio Steelhead Scandi VT really well. Love the rod. I think (within reason) it will handle a lot of different lines in the 450-575 range.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Way outside the "published"rain window

I'll wade in rather late as I just noticed this thread . I tried this rod out with a Ballistic Vector 8/9 at 660 grains , 65 ft. head ! This turned out to be an excellent match .I am able to shoot an extra 15 ft of line and better casters than were able to shoot up to 20 ft. . although most were used to Skagit or Scandi lines .
Also was a good match for dry fly fishing with up to #2 Bombers

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hijacking this thread a bit, but on topic. Salar-1 have you tried lighter mid-belly lines with this rod? I have this rod, but was saving a few bucks to get a lighter mid-belly line. The weight of the line you are casting surprised me a bit. Was thinking about an Airflo Delta Spey in either a 6/7 or 7/8 configuration (470 or 530 grains).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts