Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are welcome. About 18 hours hours since the link to write a letter to the Ministry was posted a little over 200 viewers have opened the thread.

If that was thread with video about BC fishing or favorite rod, the thread would be munch more busy. Such apathy is more and more common every day.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
For those that don't understand the implications here...simply put an increased commercially fishery for sockeye (Babine destined) in the mouth of the Skeena River will mean increased mortality for steelhead as early running steelhead migrate at the same time as the sockeye. Not good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
For those that don't understand the implications here...simply put an increased commercially fishery for sockeye (Babine destined) in the mouth of the Skeena River will mean increased mortality for steelhead as early running steelhead migrate at the same time as the sockeye. Not good.
Not only do early steelhead take it on the chin for the enhanced Babine sockeye, but discrete wild sockeye stocks throughout the system get hammered...many of which are seriously depressed. Add to these chum, which are a fraction of what they once were, and some of which are among the biggest in the world. All of these fish contribute to the diversity and total productivity of the system. Bottom line is mixed stock fisheries suck and are incompatible with healthy salmonid ecosystems. By now it is painfully apparent that there is nowhere on the planet they should be allowed, even in Alaska IMHO.

·
Registered
410 Posts
petition send

there was about 10 pages on this forum and counting of member who went truth great lengths to argue about if great lakes where where steelhead or not steelhead . so much time and effort spend for such childish and silly argument argument at times.but when it comes to a conservation post doesn't even make it to two pages :confused:.I do not fish B.C .but I will like to see this beautiful place and all others to remain the way they are or better for this species . I,m not naive enough to think that an online petition will save this fish but the lack of response it really boggles the mind .I'm convince we will loose steelhead on the next 20 years. how many member are in this forum? ... you know the way you can thank that beautiful wild fish that gives so much joy to your life . sending at online petition it is not much to ask, is it? :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am crossing my fingers that all 480 viewers ( so far ) signed the letter. We need more signature from this site folks. It takes only a couple of minutes.

Thanks !!!!!
folks can post that link on their facebook pages.

i'd also suggest posting a thread on the flyfishing page on stripersonline and also on the salmonfishingforum site.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I was one of the early viewers, I just didn't particularly feel the need to comment more. Perhaps others felt the same; just signed and done.
Thank you for posting this heads up, I would hope that this generates a lot of support.
JB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Signed and hope this has the desired result. DFO just does not seem to get the picture that there are other considerations besides max commercial harvest. This department chose to "manage" East cod stocks to levels that the fish appear unable to recover from, while totally ignoring advice from their own scientists indicating harvest rates were too high. It appears that this Department is also willing to gamble with the Skeena river steelhead populations as well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
All the Fuss...

DFO hopes that once the Skeena looks like the Skagit, then everything will just quiet down.

Last steelhead gone?

Whew. Thank god!

Connolly

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gill netters have union/$$$ and strongly lobby DFO. Except of few organizations, like BC Wild Steelhead Society or SkeenaWild.org the pressure from the other side is relatively weak.

Even thought,rom macroeconomic point of view Coho and Steelhead are worth more, under $$$ pressure DFO caves to most predatory Sockeye harvesting method: Gill netting instead using Sene fishery which by definition is more selective.

The most selective method would be harvest of enhanced Babine Sockeye at Babine fence !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
With so many things that we as friends and fishers of steelhead can fight about amongst ourselves this is some thing that I believe we can all stick together on. Do we want more exploitation of steelhead in the mixed stock commercial fishery at the mouth of the greatest steelhead river in the world? Seems like a no brainer this is something we can all agree on. Sign and share please.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.