Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Z-Axis 6wt. switch that is stuck together at the bottom two pieces. I have tried icing, kitchen gloves, behind the back, behind the knees, two people pulling with interlocked arms...pretty much everything I've found online. I haven't gotten a budge from any of it. I'm going to buy a can of compressed air and try that trick today, though I'm not too optimistic.

It's almost in perfect alignment, so I might try fishing it soon to see if it might work its way loose. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Have a Sage Spey that 'likes' to do the same thing.

Allie foil and ice cubes around the thing. Pops right apart. Rumor only here, but one of those 'cubes' in a proper glass with a good Single Malt works pretty well, But again, that's just 'hear-say.'

fae

Small edit: It's the twisting action of a spey cast that really 'glues' some of these sections together. Fish a bit and adjust the connections. One has probably loosened up, another tightened.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Never tried it, but maybe wrapping the male ferrule section in ice would break it loose. All the other things you have tried always did the trick. Now I carry two 6" squares of that rubbery matting that goes under carpet and table cloths - cheap at Lowes or HD, and it works great, especially for bamboo rods (which you are definitely not supposed to twist).

Good luck, let us know what works.

Jim

·
Registered
520 Posts
One other thing: I have found that waxing the ferrules keeps the sections together very effectively, and makes them come apart more easily.

Jim

Reactions: kalamaman

·
Registered
292 Posts
Really thoughtful of everyone to suggest icing after you clearly stated you had already tried it.
The compressed air is pretty effective , you might try setting it outside after spraying it to allow it to cool down uniformly.
Be careful not to try yanking it apart immediately after spraying as it may become brittle .

If none of this works then by all means go fishing , that solves everything.

Good Luck .

·
Registered
688 Posts
This has been posted before: as an example take a pencil in your hands and try to twist it apart. Then try doing the same after you have taken a roll of electrical tape or hockey tape and made a nice sized grip (ball) on either side (of the stuck joint). The tape needs to be carefully applied, ie stretched tight. Unless you have grit in the joint it will come apart. The judicious use of wax on the ferrules and regular cleaning and care will prevent this from ever happening again...just sayin'

·
Recreational User
214 Posts
Get a couple 4"-6" lengths of 1x2, clamp 'em together and drill a rod-blank-sized hole right on the seam - make sure you measure on the male side of the ferrule when sizing the hole, and make sure it is tight but not tight enough to grip.

Once you have the hole drilled, unclamp the stock and reclamp it around the blank on the male side of the ferrule. Slide it to seat against the stuck section, and tap smartly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Really thoughtful of everyone to suggest icing after you clearly stated you had already tried it.
My bad... did not read the OP carefully. But hey, thanks for the smackdown!

Jim

Guess icing it wasn't much help after all :(

·
Registered
895 Posts
It's almost in perfect alignment, so I might try fishing it soon to see if it might work its way loose.
I had my old Brownie stuck together for months last year. Tried everything like you did, to no avail, until...

I went on a winter Steelhead trip. Fishing it in twenty or so degree weather for a few days seemed to do the trick. I guess it was sort of a combination of "ice" and working itself loose.

Hopefully next year might pan out better for the Naugatuck fishing. See you out there!

Good luck with the rod,

-Bill

·
Registered
741 Posts
Before you do anything else. See if you have these synthetic kitchen drawer liners kicking around. They are super tacky (to prevent things from sliding around in the drawers, and work like a charm. Saved my butt a couple of times, so much so that I carry a couple of small 2x2 inch squares in my wader pocket just for situations like this...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
NE has cold weather coming our way. On a really cold night, leave it sitting on the porch overnight, then try it first thing in the morning.

·
Here to learn....
132 Posts
before you do anything else. See if you have these synthetic kitchen drawer liners kicking around. They are super tacky (to prevent things from sliding around in the drawers, and work like a charm. Saved my butt a couple of times, so much so that i carry a couple of small 2x2 inch squares in my wader pocket just for situations like this...

bingo!:):)

·
Registered
305 Posts
One of my rods reliably gets stuck when I leave it together for a week or more while on extended trips. Only thing that works for me is slowly pouring a kettle or two of boiling water over the ferrule, Do one kettle full, wait a minute or so then try pulling apart with a slight twisting motion. If still stuck, repeat. Always works for me by the second kettle.

Related - I find this happens when I leave a rod together for a long time, and keep retightening the ferrules. I'm trying to get in the habit of loosening each ferrule, blowing them out to remove grit and reseating at least once a day.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Now that's a totally new to me. What are those?
They basically look like bicycle grip with a groove the full length of the grip.

My ferrules got stuck on Scott 1287. I nearly pulled a stomach muscle (not kidding using the behind the knee method). I got the idea to use them from my local bait, and tackle, archery store.

They will allow you to get a firm grip with out slipping to pull the rod apart.
If i can find them I'll post a picture.

Thanks for the interest.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Use a hairdryer to heat the joint really well, then 2 people pulling should sort it.

Yes, it it heat not ice or cold. Salvilinus has it too. Heat expands the outside first which loosens the joint a little, hopefully enough. Ice will work in the opposite, you can't ice the inner section from the outside.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts