Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Friend of Wild Fish
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Meiser 14' Highlander for a 7/8 so now what line do I use?
I will be fishing mostly summers on the Deschutes and will be using a floating line.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
I think the best person to answer that question is the guy you bought the rod from; assuming you bought it from the maker himself.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Stew

I have the 15 foot version which does very well with the 8/9 long delta. The midspey from RIO or a TT should work as well. I watched a friend cast a 7/8 XLT to the backing knot with one at the Sandy Clave. So, it somewhat depends on the style of fishing you like to do. The longer belly lines can be nice, but require a little better technique.

The suggestion to phone Bob is a good one. He knows the rod and what people like who are using it. Even better, get to the Sandy Clave and try the lines out to see what works best for you. you will get some great coaching there too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Which ever Carron(s) Bob recommends would be the one's I would try. Get a hold of Bob and then talk with Mike at the Red Shed and have a couple of lines to try and pick the one that suits your stroke the best.
Chris

·
Registered
628 Posts
7/8 delta would be a good match. Also might want to try a 7wt in the new (nextcast) spey lines for a long line. Mr kinney keeps this rod pretty close to him so it must be a pretty good short head rod as well. Not to worry though if its a highlander it will cast everything in the 7/8 range as floating or with tips and even a few of the 8/9 lines.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Stew said:
Got my new Meiser 14' Highlander for a 7/8 so now what line do I use?
I will be fishing mostly summers on the Deschutes and will be using a floating line.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance
Below is the link to Rio's Spey Line Recommendations. Once you get to these pages, go down to the Bob Meiser rod selection. Simon and Bob worked on this together for the Rio Lines.

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

Bob has his own lines now, and you need to ask him to send you one to try. Also, get the grain range of this rod from Bob.

I know nothing of this rod, but if it is like other Meiser Rods, it will be hard to find a line that doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hi Stew,

If you can make it to the Sandy Clave as we planned, we'll marry her with lot's of line families, and we'll get her dialed perfectly for you with whatever you'd like to fish.

I'm leaving for Portland in a couple of hours.

Just a note: Been spending some time with the CND Gravity Point lines <>

Wonderful lines; Cast like butter, and most importantly they are VERY FISHY !!!

Very well thought out ... Good on you guys for this great line system !!!!

Meiz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts