Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad hitch in my cast that causes my fly to catch my leader/line nail knot. I have had the problem some in the past but it went away and now it is back with a vengence. I would say my cast is in the "traditional" long stroke class and I am using a mid length line and as soon as I work the whole head out it starts happening.

I think it could be due to a tailing loop from too much power or I am doing something weird with my d-loop that causes it, perhaps not getting a good 180 deg d-loop? Maybe it is just my leader sucks or is not stiff enough?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
Portland

·
Registered
886 Posts
Are you closing the loop by applying too much bottomhand too soon?
Try waiting till the rod is past the upright.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could also be caused- you mentioned when the full head is out ie- longer line- by a misalignment on your d-loop. When the d- loop and anchor are in line,or the d-loop is slightly "inside" the anchor ,aiming inside the anchor will turn over the line fine. With a longer length of line and a d-loop that is "outside" the anchor then using the anchor point as an aim point will cause the d-loop to align " outside" the anchor , causing a tailing loop. Hope that makes sense

Will

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
It's probably the too much power/too early issue that Willie Gunn mentions as it occurs when you have a longer line out - which often leads to "hitting it harder". This is compounded if you are using a softer action rid. Like "Willie" says - have some patience then apply the power with a smooth acceleration - and let the rod do the work..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts