Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of months now I've been struggling with trying to decide which way I want to go with a couple of rods. I'm wanting a light rod for summer steelhead and then more of an all-purpose rod for general work in summer and winter. The rods I'm looking at are all G Loomis, so here goes. For light summer duty either the 15' 7/8wt grease line or the 12'6" 7/8 stinger. If I go with the 7/8 in greased line for summer then what would you go with for more of a general rod, the 14' 8/9 greased line or the 12'6" stinger 8/9. I've cast each of these rods just a few times but my biggest concern is when I go with tips with the 8/9's. How does the 12'6" stinger do with tips up to type 8, I've only cast the rod using a floater.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. What would all of you do?

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have the stinger and the thing will cast any heavy tips like nothing. It;s a very fast action rod and you will have no problems chucking tips with it.
I will be buying the 15' greaseliner in the next few days but will be using that rod mainly for big waters like the thompson.
I actually bought the stinger so i can use it more for all purpose rod around where i live. It's great with tips and also great for overhand casting as well. Will be trying that on the beaches next year.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Flyjunky,

Why not go up 2 line sizes to a 9/10 for you winter rod? Since you are going to be getting a 7/8 for summer/fall, you really don't need a "general purpose" or "all-around" rod and the 9/10 is better suited to casting large flies used in winter. Also, going up two line sizes means each rod is best suited the a different purpose.

For instance, most trout fishers will get rods in wts 3,5,7 or wts 4,6,8 because this way they get rods with little overlap from one to the next. It makes perfect sense for 2-hand fishers to do likewise. And after you have the rods for a few years and find a place where it would be nice to have the "in-between" line wt rod, then add it to the arsenal. However, if looking for tools to use in distinct seasons and for very different fly sizes, separating them by two line sizes seems to me to be the better way to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I 100% agree with you...the thing is that I already have a 9/10 that I use for winter fishing. I was just wanting an 8/9 for a back-up to the 9/10 and in case it was to windy, bigger flies, tips, etc. Basically, I just want another spey rod.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Now that I know you have a 9/10 rod, I'd say a shorter 12'6"-13'6" would be a good choice because it would allow you to better fish small rivers/large stream (those of 50' or less across) more easily than with the longer rods. I'd also recommend contacting Meiser and see what he'd recommend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts