Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks. I have a dilemma I can't solve and I can't find anyone who can so far. This is not specific to Spey so please forgive me as I do not know where else to turn. Have been tying flies for about 40 years. Cannot find out how the strips are cut from tanned fur? My problem is that I want to get some strips cut from Aussie Opposum (tanned hide) and cannot find a way to do it. I'd even send it to someone to have it cut into 1/8" or 3/16" wide strips if I could? Any advice and direction will be most appreciated. Thanks, Stiver

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I have not personally done this, but I would imagine all you need to do is mark your 1/8th inch strips and with a nice pair of fabric shears or even a scalpel, just score the hide until the leather is cut through. Good luck... :confused:

Vinnie

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'd draw parallel lines on the back and cut with a razor or scapel. (I think that shears might destroy too much hair.) And somewhere, I can't remember where, I've seen an ad for some kind of caliper-controled fur strip cutting device.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I think Feather-Craft in St. Louis Missouri sells a fur strip cutter and I think it runs about $25.00. However, you can make one for yourself by using an Exacto knife handle, and 2-4 exacto blades. What you have to do is put thick flat washers (so the space between the blades is about 1/8"), hold the blades together with a small diameter machine screw of bolt, and mount one of them in the Exacto handle.

You can cut the hides with a very sharp utility knife or an Exacto Knife by putting alignment dots on the back of the hide and using a steel straight edge to guide the utility or Exacto blade. This is who I used to cut rabbit strips back in the 70' and early 80's when I used to buy tanned rabbit hides at Tandy Leather and cut them to tie Zonkers because there were no pre-cut ones on the market back then.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Another thing don't put the hide on a flat surface to cut the strips, you need to suspend it while cutting.
Leroy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much...mission accomplished

Thanks so much for your help. I did not think going in that this would be "rocket science"; however, I could not cut the strips without cutting the hair as well. Well, all your suggestions, plus an e mail from a midwest bro who is a Spey Pages guy and used to be associated with a furrier operation in his former days gave me a step by step method to cut my strips. I'm in business now. My problems centered around suspending the hide during the cutting with a very sharp, pointed scalpel or razor and it's slick indeed. Thanks again and best regards, Stiver

·
Registered
637 Posts
My good friend,

it's funny to see this post as we fish together. We must have just not gotten to that topic yet. I've cut my own for a few years now, and would be happy to show your and/or describe the tools and setup. It's all homemade, and would give you something extra to do while Carol recovers.

Regards, Carl

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great news, Carl.

Thanks, Carl. I am ALWAYS open for lessons in anything that applies to tying flies and fly fishing. Let's get together ASAP and I am indeed ready to take lessons. Thanks again, dear Bro. I will be homebound after the 6th for probably several weeks as my wife wants me to sharpen up my nursing skills which indeed do need sharpening as I'm a very poor nursemaid. I'm gonna try and do my best, however. Stiver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts