Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Hope to hear of a few pointers on the making of tying wax.
I have the bow rosin and purified bees wax (a touch of pure olive oil)
Any ideas on the right mix?
Heating temps?
Storage?
Thanks in advance
DD

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I assume you found the same recipe I did a while back. Start with a smaller amount of beeswax as that really softens it up, just play with it, if you don't like the results 're heat it and add whatever you want. Wax is softener and rosin is tacky. I don't remember heat but I think I just started low until it all melted... For storage I used some large chapstick type tubes (sunscreen was in them) it works beautifully but if you use a twist up type make sure you warm it a bit (I just hold under my tying lamp) before twisting, I only have one tube left as I gave it all away and I broke the screw up thing because it was too hard. oh, and put oil inside the tube first!

To sum things up I have no good advice other than play with it until it's right, personally I like the wax I made better than the others I have purchased (Aaron's is good stuff though)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The last time I made it I used Montana pine pitch, natural beeswax and olive oil. The mix I found to be ideal for me was 7 parts beeswax, 2 parts pine pitch, 1 part olive oil. The finished wax is of a softer variety, yet fairly sticky. I found using too much pine pitch and your finished product is liable to become very hard, like hard candy. I also found going ultra sparingly w the olive oil was key. One drop is all that's needed. I filled tea light candle containers and it worked well. I've got plenty extra Tim, if you'd like to try some send me a pm. I also have a huge surplus of pure beeswax, way more than I'll ever use. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use 3:1 rosin to beeswax for touch dubbing
2:1 for regular dubbing
Very little olive oil otherwise you will have to go back and add rosin.
Again when making it it depends on how tacky you need it and fine tuning is needed. I've also found the depending on the rosin you get makes a differnece.
I heat both rosin and beeswax together in a cut can over a alcohol burner. They both have low melting points. Then add your olive oil or mineral oil. Then I pour into a little Cookie tray to give me little cakes. Hope this helps. The tea candle holders work great also. This was made with a tea candle
image.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wax

I look forward to give this a shot.
one more thing to add that will give a fly that "home made" feeling. Maybe some day hook bending.
great help, thanks again
DD

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I am picking up the supplies tonight and giving it a try! I will keep you all posted and I'm sure I will make way to much so maybe some freebies going out in the mail.

KC

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
another cheap to buy wax that works not half badly: wax toilet seals
I think you may mean wax rings that seal a toilet to a floor. Rumor has it Overtons secret recipe was just that. ha ! Speaking of women's wax, I know a few guys who use the stuff women use for waxing body hair. I can tell you for sure that is some SUPER STICKY stuff !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wax

3 bucks at the thrift shop for a small shallow skillet.
My luck: this will take more than one attempt

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
3 bucks at the thrift shop for a small shallow skillet.
My luck: this will take more than one attempt
$3 pre seasoned cast skillet... You're living right. I do think it will take more than one go. Took me bout 6-7 tries before I actually had usable product. Good luck have fun !

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good luck with the wax experiment, Tim!

For anyone who is familiar with both, this tying wax and toilet wax rings, if I were to give this a go myself, is the wax ring the kind of tackiness and consistency I'd be looking to achieve? I am, unfortunately, quite familiar with them.

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
407 Posts
another recipe

Hi everyone,
Here is another link to making your own wax.

http://www.classicflytying.net/index.php?page=tut_cobblerswax_eunan

found it on classic fly tying forum

Key thing is to melt it in a pot you don't want to use for anything else. Get a cheepy. It will be a mess in your wife's fine pan. also to pour it into rubber or silicone molds.

K. C. if you make some wax, save me a chunk.
Thanks Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts