Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of the Hardy experts might be able to help me date a Perfect I recently picked up. I believe it to be circa mid-1920’s but other than that I haven’t a clue.

The reel has the smooth brass foot, no strap over the tension screw and the fat ebonite handle.

The winding plate is stamped:
Made by Hardy Bros. LTD
Alnwick, England

Pat. Nos. 24245 & 9261
Duplicated Mark II
Size
4”

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Just pay lots of attention to her, listen, tell her she is beautiful, and maybe bring some flowers:razz: :hehe:

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself:rolleyes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tip,

I have a very similar reel only difference (obvious) is mine is not stamped 4". I would agree to estimate early to mid 20's for yours as I believe the non stamp (size) reel preceeded the stamped reels, nice find. BTW, I got the hear that coffee grinder sound yesterday.

Juro, it was in that run we talked about that I had said changed dramatically.

andre

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Andre! I briefly got to hear the Bougle` grind yesterday too. I just received the Perfect last night and it will be a while till it sits on a rod. I have that pesky reel foot problem to work out first :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not the big file solution I hope?

Buy a nice B&W their reel seats are more forgiving

·
Registered
96 Posts
4" PERFECT: CARBON DATING?

hey Sinktip--

Perhaps you know that Hardy did not introduce the MKll check in their line of Perfects until 1921. Although there is no conclusive evidence about the date in which Hardy went from smooth brass feet to smooth alloy feet to ridged brass and ridged alloy feet, it appears that the shorter ridged brass and ridged alloy feet did not show up on the early Perfect models until the mid to late 1920's (and in some models, 1930's).

Taking the above into consideration, I concur that your 4" Perfect with the long smooth brass foot seems to be an "early" 1920's model. To tighten it up from there you might have to consider sending it in to a lab for carbon dating....

But no doubt, it's a beauty and per Mr. Willie Gunn's wise words, do not touch that foot with a file! Electrical tape works just fine on either an up-locking or down-locking "modern" seat (but make sure you wrap off the retaining rings with tape so they don't scratch the bottom of the foot)

The down-side, of course, is you'll soon grow tired of the tape routine (and there's always that nagging feeling that the reel will fall off when you're fighting a fish...). Taping the reel will also eventually distend or balloon out the retaining cup of your existing seat because of the stress the retaining rings cause sitting beneath the reel's foot instead of securing it in place

I gave up not only on tape routine but also on trying to get Sage to put special reel seats on their double fisters to accommodate the growing use of these antique reels.

With all due resepct to the Sage guy who "wakes up every morning trying to figure out how to make a better rod", their attitude seemed to be "we already know it all and don't need in-put from the people out there who use our rods".

It was that supercilious somewhat arrogant attitude that drove me to Struble Manufacturing (yes, it's true-- necessity is indeed the mother of invention).

Struble was more then willing to try out some new ideas and with their help I was able to fashion several reel seats that accommodated my entire collection of old Perfects, Longstones and Super Silexes.

Let me know if you need contact information for this or help on how to go about the modification process. I not only built my own rods with these modified Struble seats but also retro-fitted all my older "off-the-rack" rods with them --- it ain't heart surgery and can be accomplished with modest costs.

And keep that reel properly exercised!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the insights.

No Willie, I am hoping to avoid the file at all costs.

Marketic,

Thanks for the dating help. That matched up with the little I have been able to dig up. I will certainly try the tape idea this weekend. Long term though, I am toying with having a new brass foot milled. I have a link to a machine shop so all that is stopping me is pulling the old one off. It looks like no problem with the screws being peened. My only concern is it looks like the dovetail fit is a damn tight one. I don't want to bugger anything getting it off.

And don't worry, I intend to exercise it often.

sinktip

·
Registered
886 Posts
andre said:
Willie,

Did you get that 4 1/4" with the '06 check?
No I was the current high bidder reserve not met, I wouldn't go the extra mile.

It will be back, I can wait

·
Registered
886 Posts
The new B&W Parabolic, with sliding reel seat.
I had to shrink the photo down so much to get it in but you should get the idea. Old fashioned but great for old perfects

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's a sexy looking piece of machinery, Sinktip.

Since we're on the topic, does anyone have an opinion about removing the original seat from these old hardys and machining a new one? It would save the grinding abuse, but drilling out those rivets still makes me a little nervous....

Bright Waters Bright Fish

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sink Tip ..I just saw this thread and I had questions on Dating a Perfect..If you do a seach on this board for "Hardy Perfect" you will see a lot of information that I received from board participants... One guy named macspey had a book and also gave me an address to contact Hardy. Mine had the initials inside of "T. A G." which was a maker named Tom Armstrong. Does yours have any initials inside?... The Thread is at http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12878&highlight=Hardy+Perfect here are two pics of mine. Goes back before WW2 and maybe as old as yours. The reel seat is a ripple brass.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is the inside.It says on the reel that it is a "Duplicated, Mark II", size 3 3/4, Made by Hardy Bros LTd, Alnwick, England"... the center has 'The "Perfect" Fly Reel 'around the center. I see no patent numbers. At the little brass plug you see on the left picture you can just make out the Initials "T.A. G."

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah... Duh.... Sorry...

After having a second read, I noticed that Sinktip already mentioned removing the original foot.... Sorry, I'm a little slow... :rolleyes:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John,

No initials stamped in mine. Too bad as a friend sent me a link to a page with all the initials tied to actual names.

sinktip

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Marketic
Would you kindly fwd the contact at Struble for the reel seat mod?
TIA
Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts