Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need help dating this Hardy Perfect. It is a 3 1/4" Wide drum. Has a ribbed brass foot, metal line guard, the writing on face plate is circular. There also is a plaque on the inside that says...Made for H.C. GOLCHER & CO. SAN francisco

The reel is in great working order. I am trying to get my buddy to sell it to me so I can fish it on my 12' 5wt.

Thanks for any help, Greg

Attachments

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Have you actually held the reel? That baby could go around 12 to 14 ounces! Not exactly 12 foot 5 wt material! Of course if you can get it for a good price you HAVE to buy it. It's the law in steelhead country. Short foot, small handle, round writing... I'd make a totally uneducated WAG at early 50s

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Philster, I have the reel in my possession and might just forget to give it back. It is not that heavy. Balances the rod 1" from the top of the cork. Right now i am fishing a 3 3/8 Perfect (regular width) on my 5 wt. and can only get about 20 yards of backing. Fine for trout but a bit scary for small steelhead.

The reel is probably 40's but I am not sure. I was hoping that someone would know something about the company in San Fran that it was made for.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was waiting for the real experts to put in there worth, me I'm just a keen beginer.
Duplicated Mk 2 drag from 1920 onwards,notched brass foot post 1928, straightline logo changed arouund 1950.

I would guess early 50s the 60s had alloy feet and much shorter

·
Registered
96 Posts
DATING A PERFECT (OR JUST BUYING HER A DRINK)

What a lovely reel! It would be just smashing on a 5 weight. Steelhead? I've seen the knot on the aluminum spool of my Princess many times. A reel comparable in line capacity to the reel you have, I nevertheless always seemed to get those fish to the beach (even if I had to apply chase to get the job done).

As this was long before the advent of high-tech/low diameter backing I'd use a reel like this for steelhead or salmon in a heartbeat!

Dating the reel? It has a line guide. Hardy did not produce the 3 1/4" Perfect with a line guide until 1932, so at least you have the bottom side of the equation in place.

The curved logo did not give way to the straight line logo until 1950 so now you have the top-end of the equation in place.

This date is buttressed by the fact that your reel has a black-leaded finish. This finish lasted until the early 1950's upon which time Mr. Hardy, (in a fit of drunken stupor?) decided to apply that obscene grey spray- paint finish to his Perfects.

This decision should have been shot in the forehead at dawn (without being offered a farewell cigarette) but at least the change in paint jobs helps guys like us date Hardy reels in general (and yours in particular).

So, you can presume "early 30's to late 40's".

I suspect that Reducto ad Nauseum from there is dangerous. I think we'd agree that pinning a beauty down to her exact age might in the final end prove futile (and maybe dangerous)?

Just so you know, the value of your reel is probably arrived at by the extremely paltry production numbers associated with that size. Between 1932 and 1940 there were only 256 3 1/4" Perfects (with line guides) produced. That compares with over 2,000 3 3/8" Perfects and 1,100 3 5/8" Perfects produced during that same time period.

Somehow the "market" figures out the calculus for this relative scarcity and prices are reflected accordingly.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
DOH!

In your initial message I read 3 1/4 as 3 and 3/4 inch! Hence my statements about the weight. I guess it's a case of bad eyesight, and the fact that I've been looking at a few 3 and 3/4 inchers myself.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Willie G. and Marketic,

Thanks for the info. Fun stuff.

Philster,

After your post I hurried to see if I had written 3 and 3/4 by mistake and had to look at it for a while before i was sure that I hadn't. No harm my friend.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts