Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now preparing for my Federation of fly fishers CCI ,and want to get started on the masters also,so i need to start learning spey...I know i can learn almost all of it with a single handed ,but i just want to know how to control a spey rod...I fish mostly on the flats here in key west...tarpin/bones/permit etc. and in NY its stripers/blues...
Should my first spey be a 11' single/double hander,or a 13-14-15' rod..
I came to salt fly from a trout background in the mountains,and now know i would have been a much better river/stream fisherman had i learned to roll it out there like you'all...SO!! one rod to start? thanks

PS: OOPS!! i'm new,and put this on the wrong forum..dahhh! thanks if you can help..

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
For a salt two hander, something more in the 11' to 12' range would be better in my opinion.

For a spey rod (a two hander normally used for swinging flies) I still think a 14' is the best rod if a person will only have one. A person's size and the water's size will have some impact on that decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks to both of you...I know i'm going to have more than one spey rod after a while...I'm going to start where you tell me..I've got a great dvd from sage "the art of spey casting" with demos/presentations from 20 of the best casters/teachers from all over the planet...Steve Rajeff,and on,and on...
They all get up,and explain the same stuff (almost)so it really nails it down..
You want narrow loops? SLP...streight line path of the rod tip..etc..
I think the gentleman from scottland (with the skirts on) were great...
The dvd is 20 great examples of how to do a presentation(for teachers),and shows how to spey too....

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Kim, how big are the fish you are after

Kim, how big are the fish you are after, the size of the flies and how far are you going to be casting from flats?

Will you be casting from a boat, wading or from the shoreline?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Grandpa Spay

I'm not sure I want to use it at all here in Key West, but we go north to shelter island,NY, off montauk...Stripers/blues...it's a place where long casts are needed sometimes...I can throw my 9' 10wt 120' ,and you gotta' be fast,so i think the nine foot rods are best for here,but i'd love to learn,and try this spay stuff in the serf,and not flats...That was a very good question Grandpa,and would have my first too..
I do think i'm going with the previous advise,and start with a 14' 9wt...
Looking at redfly,sage 9140-3 brown,or a Loop 14' greenline.
All my 9' rods are fast,so mabe a fast spay would be best...so i'm leaning tward the loop...
And thanks to all youz guyz ,THE SPAYPAGES ROCK !!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
re Sage 9140-3

My son has a Sage 9140-3, which he has owned for about 10 years. He will never sell it. He uses it for shad fishing and steelhead fishing.

However, when he goes to Mexico, he takes a Sage 10151 for surf casting. The 9140 starts having problems with big flies and head on wind. These are not problems with the 10151.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
9140-3 on the way

Thanks to all for the advise on this purchase..I bought the 9140-3 brown from JGS...I'm always excited when a new rod is on the way(my first spey)
I have new sage the dvd "the art of spey casting" with about 20 of the best spay teachers in the world (i think)...I also have Mel's 4 dvd set with a good spay section..Are there any other must have dvd's?..
Oh! to Gradnpa spay...I don't worry about wind much...It's always windy in the keys,and off Montauk,and i've learned to cast a 9' 9wt 85-90' into a 10 knot breeze..Don't know if i'll be able to do the tight,almost pointed loops with a 14' rod,but i'll bet every caster on that dvd can blast it through..
Any help on the line i should start out with ? Should i start with a line up in wt. (10-11wt)to help the biginner load ? thanks kim

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
kim wroble said:
I have new sage the dvd "the art of spey casting" with about 20 of the best spay teachers in the world (i think)...I also have Mel's 4 dvd set with a good spay section..Are there any other must have dvd's?..
Get the new RIO DVD Modern Speycasting. It is also an excellent reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts