Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
flytie09
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Helmsdale variant. I tweaked the original dressing listed by Kelson in his 'The Salmon Fly' by adding dyed yellow heron sub as hackle and blue mallard to the throat. I stumbled across the pattern over on Colin Innes's site here -

Not Dee Flies.

It's also listed in the new 'Hardy's Salmon Flies' book by Martin Lanigan-O'Keeffe. Thanks for looking......

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
I agree with Cameron, that has a wonderful fishy glow :smokin:
I also think you knocked this one out of the park with your tying skills ... man that has a nice profile and flow :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not only a great job of tying, but there is a treasure in the posting other than the fly. If you click on the link in blue font (Not Dee Flies) it will open a website with pictures of many classic flies from the 1800's and early 1900's. The experience of viewing the skills of previous tyers is well worth the effort.

Doug

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
Not only a great job of tying, but there is a treasure in the posting other than the fly. If you click on the link in blue font (Not Dee Flies) it will open a website with pictures of many classic flies from the 1800's and early 1900's. The experience of viewing the skills of previous tyers is well worth the effort.

Doug
Is this the first time visiting Colin's site for you Doug??
I thought you knew about his library. Just fascinating to go through all of the photos and write-ups. I still read many of the articles and always find new morsels of info.

Mike

·
Registered
518 Posts

Doug
love going through Collins site, so much info, Cameron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts