Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and thought I would introduce myself. I'm Jay and live in South Jordan, Utah. I'm a jack of all trades, but only a master of one; Playing the Piano. I'm a so so Fly fisherman but my arthritis in my hands and back is getting worse so I don't fish as much. I like to fish Strawberry Reservoir in the Spring and Fall when the larger fish get closer to the shore line. I have a belly boat, but it's getting harder to get into and launch so I fish from the shore, sometimes with a Fly Rod, but also with a fly and bubble with my spinning rod.

Anyway, that's me in a nut shell. Feel free to ask questions.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,235 Posts
Hi Jay from Alaska :)

I hear you, I'm closing in on 65 daily and have lots of limitations I didn't have just ten years ago but as you know you just do things slower. Feel free to message with me anytime especially if you like full Spey lines :) I'm a bit if a traditionalist and love talking technique.

Ard

PS. Just ten years!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You will love the 2-handed game. Your body will love it as well. With a 13’ 5 wt. Quantum Turbo by Steve Godshall (same blank as a Meiser MKX) and a 350 grain Ballistic Vector, you will be able to quickly make 70-80 foot casts and strip flies all the way in, if you need to and still have fun with the size of fish that you can find in Strawberry.

I got started it trout spey with a Cabelas 5 wt. and then made a 12’ 3/4 from an Angler’s Roost blank. It is very addictive and very easy on the body. One nice thing about the Cabelas rods—at least before bass pro bought them, you could fish a rod for a month and if you didn’t like it, you could send it back and you were only out the shipping. I have heard good things about the vector and depending on the size of flies you want to cast, you can pick up anything between a 3 and 5 wt. rod and have a blast. If you can find someone local to help you with the learning curve relative to casting I would highly recommend it...that or get lessons if they have someone who really knows what they are doing.

For me it is much more fun than a spinning rod and fly combined with a casting a bubble (that is how I first fished with a fly as a kid when I lived in southern Idaho).

I believe that Marty (Grandpa Howard) is from Heber City and he might be willing to meet up with you and help you get started.

BTW I have a daughter who lives in Sandy...not sure why they would choose to live there with so many people when there are so many other places that Joe could have set up his Chiropractic business when he got out of school but that is where they are. A 10-12 hour drive and then they wonder why we don’t visit very often. When I get down that way, I’ll try to look you up and we can go do some casting practice at one of the parks in West Jordan.

Cal

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi from California,

I have never fished Strawberry but I will be in Heber this spring. I have been fishing stilwaters more since retirement three years ago. Currently having some success with two-handed rods from a kayak. Even with a simple overhead cast I get more distance and enjoy the longer retrieve when stripping. I would appreciate any suggestions if anyone has attempted similar strategy.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
caupwhiting, my hope is you attended the Wasatch Fly Tying and Fly Fishing Expo this past weekend. If not you really missed out. The opportunities were endless. Two-handed casting demo's, two-handed fishing clinics, Dec Hogan and I offered a steelheading clinic and tyed steelhead flies both days. It was an awesome expo. Both Dec and I teach and run two-handed casting clinics. My next 3-day clinic is in Alpine WY in July. There are a number of options to get you started. Good luck, enjoy the ride.

https://pioneeranglers.com/shop?olsPage=products/two-hand-spey-class-july-12-13-and-14-with-marty-howard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts