Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been fishing since I was a little girl. However, I am new to the sport of fly fishing. After joining my local fly fishing club and doing some group fishouts, my wrist is none too happy with me on multi-day trips. On my most recent trip to Pyramid Lake, a gramps next to me was hooking fish on almost every cast with his switch rod. Gramps had recently undergone shoulder surgery and the switch rod helped him fish. Being a young female has great advantages in a male dominated sport; males love to help seemingly helpless females. Well, gramps was nice enough to teach me his technique and I was hooking fish! I will still cast single handed rods, can't get away from that since my casting mentor is a world famous fly caster, but I am hoping to get into two handed fly fishing so that I can fish every day even with my tendonitis and carpal tunnel.

Jen :laugh:

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Welcome to the Speypages !!
My daughter can somewhat relate to your story. She is 15yrs old and all the middle aged guys on the river can't understand how a young female teen can cast a two-hander better than them :eek::eek:

There's trouble at the "old boys club" :chuckle::chuckle:

Enjoy your time here, lots of info through these pages ...
Glad you joined our community :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Jen,
Welcome to Speypages. There are great people here to meet. You will learn a lot. It is great to have another female voice in this community as well. My 9 year old daughter is a member here, called 'Fishergirl' and loves to cast the two hander and single hander. Two hand casting is so much fun! I wish you well as you learn.

Nate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jen,

Welcome to the Speypages. I would like to echo Nate's comment regarding having more female voices. There is no reason I can think of that flyfishing should be a 'good old boys club' any longer. I look forward to the day when our sport can be viewed as a family endeavor, inclusive all the perspective women have to offer. Best wishes with your two-handed casting.

JP

·
Idahodryfly
148 Posts
Hey Jen:

Was the old guy named Dave? I sent my friend Dave with a switch rod I gave him as a present and he was at Pyramid lake. He told me another fisher hit him up for flies and started catching fish. I bet it was you.

Small world- welcome to Speypages.

IdahoDryFly-Rick

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome Jen!
It is nice to have some ladies on here. Speypages a cool place to learn new things. I think you will catch onto double handed fishing quickly. Hope you like it here,

Trillium

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jen:

Was the old guy named Dave? I sent my friend Dave with a switch rod I gave him as a present and he was at Pyramid lake. He told me another fisher hit him up for flies and started catching fish. I bet it was you.

Small world- welcome to Speypages.

IdahoDryFly-Rick
Unfortunately, I did not get Gramps name. However, I did inquire about his setup and he was using an Echo Boost Beach rod with a Teeny 350.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts