Spey Pages banner

Heavy hooks

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Cicada 
#1 ·
Looking for alternative to using lead eyes. What are some heaviest modern irons around? Looking for relatively long hooks to tie on some sparse Snow style flies.

#3 ·
There was a time in an era long ago, an angler had choices of hook selection.
There were hooks and then there were irons. Irons were the medium to heavy wire version of popular hooks. The angler would tie the pattern on the iron to help sink the fly, keel properly in heavy currents or to ensure the hook did not disfigure and open causing a lost fish.
Not sure why we have lost this option over the years, mostly in the last 10 years or so. Alas, a sign of the times ....

Since you have mentioned you are looking for a longer shank hook, I will limit my response to the following:

The Blue Heron McNeese hooks will probably be your best option. Sizes #2 and #1 have large gaps that can be closed with a pair of pliers and strong thumb pressure. I do this regularly and have not encountered any issues with breakages.

Daiichi 2271 - The "Low Water Dee Hook" is an excellent option. While not being "heavy" wire, it is more of a "medium" wire, much the same as the old Code "N" irons.

Daiichi 2060 - "heavy" wire wet in sizes 1.5 and #3/0. This would classify as an "Iron" in my opinion. The heavy version of the 2050. The shank is 3x, so that classes this iron as long in my books.

Not familiar with any other modern long shanks.

Mike

#7 ·
Tmc9394 is a straight eye streamer hook.
If I need to get down, I choose this hook in size 2.
Point is extremely sharp.
I like to taper my bodies with thread or floss to help keep an even keel while swinging. When I do taper, it sinks even moreso. Add a sparse dressing and it sinks like no other hooks I've tried.
One of my favorites on a long leader.

Partridge Ken baker CS-17 are a close second for heavier gauge streamer hooks. I like to bend the shank a little so that the hook point is not exposed. It does seem to dull quickly when it rubs up against rocks, bottom, or after multiple hooked fish. Bending in the point will help it stay sharp longer. Prefer this hook over the daichii 2271 that has a similar shape, but not as stout.

Here are some poor quality pics of the hooks....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.