Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the heaviest hooks in 1 to 5/0 sizes? Could be blind eye, I really need to dredge a little deeper next winter and I would rather not use dumbells. :roll:

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I am using the AJ 1.5 heavy irons this winter and loving them. I have bent them open for dees, and I tie wets as they are. very strong, very sharp, very fast sinking.

Thin Silk bodies, sparse hackles, and lots of metal ribbing and wire helps too! :cool:

·
Registered
Red Truck, ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,048 Posts
What about Design Considerations

Inheriently some applications of material profile have different sink rates

Who makes the heaviest hooks in 1 to 5/0 sizes? Could be blind eye, I really need to dredge a little deeper next winter and I would rather not use dumbells. :roll:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you can use a down-eye, Daiichi 2271's are the bomb. And I agree with Wayne (that's unusual,lol) about materials making a difference as well. A case in point is the Picasse, an atlantic salmon wet fly. Picasse is French for "anchor"...named because it sinks like one due to its vinyl rib body.

Gary

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Mustad model # 10827 NPBLN
comes in size range #4 through to 11/0

You'd be hard pressed to find a heavier wire hook...

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Some quick input :)

Great lakes winters are COLD! We face water temps in low 30's and presenting flies low and slow is the key. Northwest waters are much friendly and is duable with floating lines but Michigan winters dictate you to fish sink tips with 15 footers being regular practice. I fish multi tip long deltas with 13 foot 90 grain tips and faster sinking flies to compensate. Tube flies are great tool but I would love to hook up several fish on bigger slightly more classical patterns. Call me that one that want to be the purist limiting my success so I catch more "special" fish.

Flies in lines of Winters Hope are in my mind. Slim tinsel bodies with light dressing of hackle tips on a big heavy hook. I recently been taking as far as using tungsten thread! Will look into Mustads! Thanks guys!

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
You could also look at using your preferred or usual hook, and then applying an 'underbody' of tungsten (or lead) wire, and wrapping your body materials etc over this as you like.....

....just a thought...

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winters hope with lead strip and lead ribbed body. I hope Bill would approve.

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I considered doubles but even though I never tied on one I think pattern such as above mentioned Winters Hope will tend to swim too vertical to be efficient.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have you considered using metal tubes? I know they might not lend themselves to a fly like the WH, but the right tube would get you down in a hurry.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Besides using heavy irons as a platform , you can also reduce the dressing to a modified low water tie .... this is my preferred method .
Reduce the proportions by one size on the hook . Use let's say a #2 iron and tie it if it were a #4 . I like to use tinsel , floss or thin wool for the bodies on these flies and stay away from dubbing . I always omit a body hackle (following the ribbing) , it will increase the drag and slow the fly down from sinking . Quill and hackle tip wings sink faster than mixed wing or hair wings . If you want to tie with hair , use coarse hair and get all the under fur out and tie a thin , sparse wing . Fine hair tends to trap air within . For collar hackle , keep the wraps down to two max , with one side stripped .
If I follow the above , I find I do not need to use a really heavy iron to sink my fly fast .

Mike

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Wow. Some quick input :)

Great lakes winters are COLD! We face water temps in low 30's and presenting flies low and slow is the key. Northwest waters are much friendly and is duable with floating lines but Michigan winters dictate you to fish sink tips with 15 footers being regular practice. I fish multi tip long deltas with 13 foot 90 grain tips and faster sinking flies to compensate. Tube flies are great tool but I would love to hook up several fish on bigger slightly more classical patterns. Call me that one that want to be the purist limiting my success so I catch more "special" fish.

Flies in lines of Winters Hope are in my mind. Slim tinsel bodies with light dressing of hackle tips on a big heavy hook. I recently been taking as far as using tungsten thread! Will look into Mustads! Thanks guys!
Maybe the AJ Heavy wire hooks and especially the Partridge Code M that Dimitri suggests are what you want for the Winters Hope if your intention is a sunken wet fly swing.

I'll cast a 7/8 DL with tips under 90 grains in glacial melt out west. If this is what you are dredging - you aren't getting that much deeper...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts