Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Beulah Platinum Switch which is their 10'4" 6wt. I have a 350 switch line that casts overhand very well. I find myself needing help to narrow down specific heads for this rod. I realize everyone has their own casting style and their 'what works' but I could certainly use a point in the right direction.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What a timely question! I asked this very question not too long ago on this forum and didn’t get much of a response. apparently it’s either a well guarded secret or not a rod that’s well liked? I just asked opst today what grain head they would recommend and they said 275 grain head with their 10’0” tip. My first thought was that sounded light but I’m gonna give that a try and see how it feels. Would love to hear other people’s opinions on this as well. FWIW for overhead casting a Wulff ambush 8wt line does a pretty good job.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What a timely question! I asked this very question not too long ago on this forum and didn’t get much of a response. apparently it’s either a well guarded secret or not a rod that’s well liked? I just asked opst today what grain head they would recommend and they said 275 grain head with their 10’0” tip. My first thought was that sounded light but I’m gonna give that a try and see how it feels. Would love to hear other people’s opinions on this as well. FWIW for overhead casting a Wulff ambush 8wt line does a pretty good job.
OPST recommendations have been spot on for 3 of my rods, including a 5/6 Beulah Classic spey (which is for sale :) )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be looking to use larger streamers or small intruders. I would rather use weighted tips instead of weighted flies if possible. So the flies I'm aiming for will be more bulk than weight. I will use my current switch line for fishing indicators or smaller/lighter flies.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I would be looking to use larger streamers or small intruders. I would rather use weighted tips instead of weighted flies if possible. So the flies I'm aiming for will be more bulk than weight. I will use my current switch line for fishing indicators or smaller/lighter flies.
The switch line is a skagit, so adding 10 ft tips, either tapered like the rio, SI, or post tips, or straight pics of T material (I'd go with T8) should work. It will be a little clunky overhead,, but that's skagit.. It should be great sustained anchor spey casting.

And 8 wt wf single hand line should work too. I like the Airflow 40 plus as a scandi or overhead, but most any 8 or 9 weight wf should work.. So anything you can throw with an 8 wt sh, you should be able to throw with the line win your Beulah, and it will deliver more elegantly. You cold also ad sinking poly leaders to that, though I'd probably stick with 5 footers I this case.

I just asked opst today what grain head they would recommend and they said 275 grain head with their 10’0” tip. My first thought was that sounded light but I’m gonna give that a try and see how it feels.
Go with the OPST rec's. The OPST heads run "light"- short and fat loads the rod "heavier" than longer and thinner.

And the site is lightly trafficked these days. You probably didn't get an earlier answer because no one who saw it has the rod. I have only cast it once, don't own it, so my thoughts are just general based on length and grain weights.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Im glad this came up. I was fishing my Platinum 10' 4" 6 wt today and I was fishing medium size (2.5") buck tail/craft fur intruder-ish style flies tied on OPST Micro Shanks (1.25") with a 3.2mm brass bead tied into the fly. I was running a 325g Commando head with a 5/5 T8 MOW tip, four foot leader made with 8" 20# Mirage fluorocarbon (.015/.38mm) and the rest of the leader was 13# Mirage fluoro (.011/.28) and about 24-28" of overhang and that would put the fly wherever I wanted it to go. It was windy so I went up a few in the grain window but the rod will handle it just fine. OPST recommendations are usually spot on but conditions dictate what you will actually be using. The Platinum 1046 has a pretty good grain window. If Im using a lighter head I need to be more precise with my anchor placement and stroke. With a 325 its just get after it and go. Good luck. These are very versatile, powerful, little rods that will do whatever you want. Keep your stroke tight and give the bottom cork a gentle yank and watch it fly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I almost forgot....whatever Beulah recommends is usually the ticket. Although I find the rod loves Commando Heads for the right situations. As most rods up to a certain length do.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I believe these are well loved (not liked) rods.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ha. So far im enjoying the rod! The only line I’ve fished on it so far is a wulff ambush 8wt. Could over head cast it comfortably with a 7ft s5 Polyleader. Did a nice job as a scandi line...put a 65 grain s3 tip on it and was able to shoot a decent amount of line with a snake roll. Also did some sustained anchor casting with the line...the 290 grain head felt a little light for that but could still do it okay...maybe a little better anchor with a slightly heavier tip? For overhead and scandi, wulff ambush 8wt is a nice line. For skagit I’m gonna try opst or spey lite in a lil heavier weight given the wulff ambush is a 290 grain and that felt a little light. Knowing that 325 isn’t too heavy (thanks GHalliday!), Will start with 300 next time and see how that goes...Hope that feels really good or really light as I only have a 350 after that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Courtney at Nile Creek suggested a Snowbee SF350 as a switch line. Casts overhead very nicely. For Spey casting I have OPST Commando's in 275 and 300 on the way. I'll let you know once I try with those heads.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Courtney at Nile Creek suggested a Snowbee SF350 as a switch line. Casts overhead very nicely. For Spey casting I have OPST Commando's in 275 and 300 on the way. I'll let you know once I try with those heads.
Both the 275 and the 300 work great on that rod. If you have a Beulah and really like it (and you will) invest in at least one Beulah head. They do their homework and know how to design heads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts