Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the HD 9thirteen or LW 8twelve balance the T&T 1307 better?

Plan on using a mid spey 6/7 floater and for tips a WC 8/9/10 body w/tips from a WC 9/10/11. Would like 200 yds (would settle for 150) of 30 lb backing to fit as well.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have both reels and the HD is on my 9 weight and balances nicely. It is a much heavier reel but surprisingly has very little capacity difference.

The LW balances my 12'6" 7/8 perfectly. I would reccomend the LW for a 7 weight rod. You may have a little problem making the capacity you want. I've always figured 150 yards was enough. Once a fish is more than a football field away I think odds of getting him back are low.

By the way the LW is my single favorite reel. Good choice.

Gillie

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,496 Posts
I would second that the LW would be a better choice on the 1307 but the extra weight of the HD should not be a major concern either. I fish a 4" Perfect on my 1307 and don't find balance, or lack there of) to be a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Curious as to backing capacity with the LW 8twelve. I am going to be putting a 7/8 Midspey on mine. Anyone know how many yards, approximately, of 30 lb. I can get on the reel with that line?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts