Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This reel came my way on an impulse buy. It is in great -- possibly unused -- shape, ruggedly built for salt water use, with plenty of backing/line room, and a Tarpon stopping cork drag, but its heavy.

It seems to be useable in some spey applications or on a 1H 9-10 wt muscle rod. Trouble is I do not fish the salt.

Anyone have experiences that might be enlightening?

Thanks,
ddb

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Sort of reminds me of another reel that a few of us on here have a fetish for - the 20 + year old Lamson Saltwater reels. Those are very heavy, and have cork drags but are not large arbor. So extra heavy reels with relatively small volume do have a place on a Spey rod. If you are lucky enough to own a 14’+ 7wt or one of the very few 14’+ 6 wts out there I’d say it might be very nice on one of those. Looks like it weighs a bit more than a 4” Perfect wide spool - pretty good for a balancing 13’ 8wt, but with significantly less volume, arguably uncomfortably little for an 8 wt and up Spey line, so that definitely puts it in the super heavyweight category. :)

It’s similar in size and weight to the ‘Permit’ sized Lamson SW reel which I use and love on a 7141. So it can probably work on a Spey rod! But maybe consider using some gel spun type extra thin backing like Hatch Premium. The weight/balance part, at least, comes down largely to taste so you could consider it the price to pay on a shorter rod for looking beautiful!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought there might be a fiberglass or bamboo spey rod to match this reel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts