Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something I tied today. I know there are a lot of mistakes. Have some great guys helping me out with the technical aspects of these flies. I kind of got away from tying bugs. I can just raid David's box for bugs. Haha.
image.jpg

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
First thing that caught my eye was that splendid wing set over the tippet.

Looks good to me.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
you have all the elements for a stunning fly. Your wingset is killer and the black tippet line matches with the herl so thats bonus points! With very small adjustments this would be an 11/10. A shorter, steeper tail crest would be the main adjustment I would make. I would suggest finer oval tinsel for the tip but the same number of wraps. I would also suggest one less rib wrap. Not because 5 is the standard number but it would look better in this case IMO. I would also be very selective about the body hackle I chose to try to achieve a better hackle taper and select a throat lenght to extend that taper through the throat if possible. Keep in mind I am a fly tying hack and these opinions very well may be different than your own and others. Marty also tends to tie a longer tag than most and while thats not my style I think it would look killer on this fly.
I normally wouldnt be that nit picky because my flies arent nearly this good but you were very close to absolutely knocking it out of the park.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those tips. The oval tinsel was fine should have used extra fine of some older vintage tinsel. The throat I should have stopped at that point. My body hackle was tapered and then I measured throat and it looked good. When I put it on it was to long. I should have taken it off at that point. I'm glad you liked it. Don't worry about nit picking I need that to perfect these. So don't hold back.
Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts