Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some hatch backing and rio running line on its way.
Wondering what knots would be best for a loop to loop connection? I am assuming the the rio doesn't have a loop at the backend, and if it does I may end up cutting the length back anyways. For the hatch will a perfection loop work with that type of line? Or will the thin hatch cut into the running line too much?

I could live with a non looped connection as well, would just make it a little more difficult when I want to put a single hander line on the reel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The powerflex and connectcore running lines have loops, the Gripshooter and Slickshooter don't. No experience with the hatch backing, so I can't help you with that one

·
Registered
209 Posts
A doubled Bimini twist is best for Dacron and gelspun backing

I believe that the Hatch backing you refer to is gelspun polyester ("braid").

Assuming a loop-to-loop connection is desired, maximum strength is achieved when you tied a doubled-line Bimini twist with 70 turns. This can be a tough knot to tie in Dacron (esp. 30lb weight, so I drop the twists to 50) but I've not had problem even in 50lb braid.

Alternatively, tie a single Bimini and then pass the reel twice through the Bimini loop when connecting to the backing to give a doubled-line loop in the thinner gelspun. That should spread the stress and reduce the likelihood of a cut-through.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree with Snagly, I've used Hatch this winter and like it. The double loop Bimini Twist is easy to tie with Hatch line. And I wouldn't advise chopping your runner, the first 20-30' will wear much faster and if you have an intact line you can cut off the worn section and start over again. Depending on how much you fish a runner could last a couple of seasons.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My thought too.

Time to buy a bigger reel. :saevilw:

Dan
Amazing how big a reel you need to suck up a full on floating spey line and backing. Have a Carron (150 long) sitting on my desk, asking 'Self' is that reel 'big enough?' :rolleyes:

Have a Hardy "The Soverign 9/10" sitting on my desk, NO WAY would that reel hold the Carron. Ain't going to happen.:(

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, gonna need a bigger reel. It holds the scandi head, but just barely. Will work for a 6 spey I would imagine. Been thinking about a lighter spey rod anyways, this is a good excuse for that ( :

Oh well, a new spey reel isn't the worst problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is the way that I have done it for years. The braided backing is slipped up inside the braid with a needle and then nail knotted around the outside. Make loop in the braid a couple of feet away. Pliobond smooth all connections, let dry overnight and finish smoothly the next day. You now have nice braided loop to attach to your fly lines. It is a lot easier on them than braid.

Step by step:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the options. Ill be sticking with the old reel until I get something that will hold the line a little better. Might try gripshooter, but I have my doubts that even it will give me the room.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts