Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had this problem on my Echo Ion.The drag works perfectly when im in my house adjusting it but when at the river it just fails on me.
I try adjusting it to max drag (to snap a snag off) and yet it dosent work?
It barely has any drag at all even a 14 inch rainbow could pull line off so i twist the other way then it turns into a free spool like a centerpin reel!
Just came back adjusted it and it went tight like it should be.
Ill send a email to Echo to see if they have solution to this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
currently all my reels are the ions. personally i have never had that happen, but all echo products have a lifetime warranty and they have always been great to work with on warranty issues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I haven't had that happen myself. I know the drag can have issues if it gets too wet. One thing I would say, if you need to break off due to snag, don't put drag on full use your hand to hold the spool instead and point straight at the snag. I think otherwise you could put undue stress on the spool.

I had an issue with my ion and it was replaced. Echo has a good warranty. I have also caught a lot of steelhead on that reel, but it does seem to have a few quirks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have several echo ions. The 8-10, and 10-12. I have had very few problems with them. I have landed some very big fish with them. I did experience a squeak once and it went away on its own. I also had a run away once but of my doing. Other than that I like them very much. They can be abused and scratched with no guilty feelings afterwards. :chuckle:

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
Ions are not sealed drags and in cold weather they can be quirky with some water in the drag mechanism. walking to the river yesterday mine froze, guess I didnt let it dry out enough from the day before. another suggestion is the O ring seated properly so spool and frame are making proper contact, this can sometimes cause problems.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Never put your reel in the water...

no matter what type of drag or none at all, water will never help your reel work as it should. Putting any reel in the water is looking for trouble, click, disc or sealed. And if it was raining as you fished make sure it dries before you take it out again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts