Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shirt tail cousin from back East tried to buy the Orvis 14' Spey Rod and there are no Spey Rods on the internet.

The only steelhead rod is their new copy of Bob Meiser's two handed switch rod. It is a ten foot model with a 3 inch bottom handle.

In September there were a ton of ads in the various discounters who advertise on the net for those spey rods at some very good prices. Did Orvis dump them and stop carrying Spey Rods?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes and no on the Orvis spey rods. The older models have been discontinued, but the new "Two-Handed" rods come in four models-- from 12'6" to 15' and run in price from $350 to $450. The kicker is that they may not be available quite yet. The short rod is a 7/8, and the long rod is a 10/11.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kjackson re Orvis two handed rods

Sounds like some poor market timing not to have two handed rods available for the Atlantic Salmon fall/winter season and the Pacific fall/winter steelhead/salmon season.

They do so some things that seem weird to me.

Their Large Arbor Battenkills are great reels. They are bullet proof and really take up the line when you are reeling it in with or without a fish on. I have two of their current biggest ones and spare reels. Their LABK 9/10 is perfect for my 7136, but too light and small for my 7141. I tried for about 6 months to buy their phantom next larger reel. Twice I had orders cancelled after seeing them advertised in their catalog and placing the order. So now I own a Loop 4 and a Brakewater 11/12.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are coming out with a large arbor 11-13 wt. reel that looks like a cross between a Ross BG and a Batenkill. It will be a little more expensive than the BK.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eddie re the new reel

"They are coming out with a large arbor 11-13 wt. reel that looks like a cross between a Ross BG and a Batenkill. It will be a little more expensive than the BK."

Eddie, what will they call the reel and is it a Battenkill?

Do you work for O or have a shop that carries their products?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Orvis...

Grampa--According to my press kit, there is a new large-arbor, saltwater reel called the Mach Center Drag that comes in 11/12 size. Is that the one you're thinking of, Eddie? Don't see mention of any other of that size, but then this thing just hits the highlights.

Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Orvis reels...

The ony real specs I have is that the Mach Center Drag reels are fully machined, have twice the backing capacity of the Battenkill LA reels and three to four times the drag surface. Price is $275 to $350 range. I've e-mailed this thread to my PR contact at Orvis, and I imagine we'll hear back in a couple of days. This assumes, of course, that the engineers have released full specs.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re Orvis's new reel

It kinda sounds like Redington's new Brakewater 11/12, which I recently bought.

The shop in Oregon reversed the reel's winding set up and really screwed it up. I asked for a left hand wind set up. Fortunately, Dan Blanton on his web site made the diagnosis, and I corrected it.

The reel comes with a left hand retrieve and the shop's reversal of the wind direction washer/lock, and then winding the line up on their reel winder for left hand made it a flipping nightmare. It works fine now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
KJ, that's the one I'm talking about. I have only seen promo stuff and not the reel. It comes in a few sizes from a large trout reel up. The big one looks like it could be a good spey reel. I'm not crazy about one way bearing clutches on saltwater reels. We'll see how it is sealed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts