Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried with any consistent success skating a caddis dry pattern for trout with a DH rod? Fish a fair amount on the Missouri outside of Craig MT- and every summer I keep thinking about it- but never try.
thoughts?

Bigfoot.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Don't see why that would not work? If I was in the same location as you I would give it a go.

Be interested to see how things work out for you.

KC

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
901 Posts
Yep ...... it works great. A lot of times I will run a soft hackle off of the back. Fun and productive way to fish

·
Registered
498 Posts
One of my grandsons did very well with skaters in central Montana. He just switched to streamers a couple of weeks ago. Said his best day was 6 over
26". He is using and 11' 3/4 that I made him.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Trout Skaters - You Bet!

Absolutely! I tied up several mini Trout skaters last night, I'll have to post some pics. I love how I am seeing so much interest in swinging techniques for trout!

- Lawrence S

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have picked up lots of cutthroat wile fishing a rifle hitched steelhead caddis. I had one day where I used my six weight single hand to fish for the cuthroat and steelhead at the same time. It caught both.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have skated salmonflies on rivers and skittered travelling sedges on lakes, but never skated caddis on rivers. In my experience, unless the fly is designed to skate, most flies get dragged under the surface as soon as the fly is under tension. However, this week I fished with a furled leader greased up with floatant for the first time. Even my parachutes and emergers were almost impossible to sink, even on the swing. I am now looking forward to using a floating furled leader and skating caddis dries to my local trout this summer.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
901 Posts
@Peteo ........ have you tried using a riffle hitch. Keeps them up and creates a wake

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Ginked up muddlers all the time sooooo much fun

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have to try the hitch, I've used it for steelhead and it works well. Can't imagine putting a hitch on a #18 caddis, although I guess it's possibe.

·
AJS Reels
421 Posts
Other skating patterns

There's been some interesting and informative threads lately that have sparked a quest for me, a summer rainbow on a skater. It started with coming across some PNW foam cup face caddis patterns you guys are tying up, then on to dry line techniques, trout speys and single hand spey. So my rods will be ACR 1175 with scandi short 5/6, 330 Rage and Sage Response 697 with Elixir V2 250gr which is so sweet to cast and will handle some head wind situations other wise will use the 1175. I have started tying up some foam skaters, tube and on hooks, these fish won't be shy so size is there to move them. Any favourite foam/deer hair caddis ties out there?
The river I plan to fish is one of the largest N.I. freestone catchments with fish that behave similar to West coast half pounders without being in the sea.
Size range for Bows up to 8lbs with a few browns, some searun.

Attachments

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
When I lived in Cascade from 1981-1987, I regularly skated ELK HAIR CADDIS for trout. I stumbled upon how effective it is during caddis egg-laying flights by accident. I was fishing one July evening just upstream of the bridge at Cascade at got distracted by several deer on the island after making a cast. Yep. I ended up having a nice 18" rainbow hook himself on the dragging/skating/swinging fly. I was amazed at how effective doing this is when caddis are egg-laying. Just use an ELK HAIR CADDIS close to the color of the naturals, but make sure the size is a match, and hang on!

Back then I fished with a 9'6wt and then with a 10' 6 wt on the Missouri. Heck, I even used my 9' 4wt to skate microcaddis and caught plenty of trout.
This technique works in spring creeks too, which I know is blasphemy. But I used it on Poindexter quite often when I lived in Montana.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I came upon it by 'accident', discussed it with Flytyer many, many moons ago. If you aren't riffle hitching an elk hair caddis when they are egg laying, you are missing out on some great fun! Especially right at dark, summer evenings and you hear them taking it!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, I do this regularly. You don't need to imitate the caddis (or other insect for that matter). Imitating a small fish can be more effective. Remember, while some fish are eating the caddis other bigger fish are eyeing up the little fish feeding above. We've all experienced that big fish crashing rise during the last light when the air is filled with insects. :eek: Little fishy done got eaten!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts