Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends :)

I just returned from my annual salar hunt on the right coast of Canada. During my trip, we took a timeout to once again visit the Margaree Salmon Museum. To add even more to the excitement of viewing the jewels within the display cases, we came across a display solely outlining Harry Lemire. About a half dozen cases filled with everything from flies to rods, reels, photos and tying materials used by Harry.

So many flies on display, but I found a Balmoral Dee among them :)

I already spoke to the curator about updating the "UNKOWN" fly above ... it's a Gardener. Hard to see the GP crest that is palmered along the rear body.
Also in the photo is a Thunder & Lightning which is another of my favorite patterns for both steelhead and salar.

Harry's travelling tying kit was also on display. This is the same kit he toured with from show to show. This is also the kit he traveled with to the Margaree every summer to fish for salar in the fabled waters. To think that I fished salmon pools that Harry once fished as well ...

Such a great photo of Harry and his fishing partner !!

This was on display for purchase:

I have never seen this publication before and just had to have it !! It is the history of Harry Lemire, the man, the fisherman and the fly tyer. It highlights his famous flies with background info on each pattern, how he fished it and when he fished it. Some great photos between the covers !! Some very rare photos too.
Such a great find !!

Mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was just at the museum week before last! I was not aware of it until I saw the small sign near the road as my wife and I were heading to Cheticamp on the Cabot Trail. What a jewel! I took many of the same photos and the lady working at the museum was a wealth of knowledge. I have to admit that I really did not know much about the Margaree River. I wish I could have made it a fishing trip as well, but this trip was just touring. It was interesting how his collection came to the museum.

·
Administrator
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "lady" was Mrs. Hart, a wealth of knowledge on the history of the Margaree area, people, salmon and the river.
Sadly, this was her last year as curator, she will be missed for sure. However the new curator is a gentleman !! Very knowledgeable and personable :)
I foresee many discussions will be had between him and I :):)

Mike

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Wow! What a treat Mike! It's humbling and illuminating to visit sites like that, to view the background and history of people who championed our sport and made it what we enjoy today. One day.......

How was your time on the water??

Bob

·
Administrator
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How was your time on the water??
Whether at home or in the valley, my time on the water is always awesome my friend :):)
The fishing was fantastic ... the catching, not so much.
Alas, I had a chance to spend 7 glorious days with some of the fishiest salmon dawgs that roam this earth.
We shared water, flies, stories, techniques, food, whiskey, song and laughter ... filled my soul :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Great post Mike!!!

By all accounts Harry Lemire was the epitome of the word gentleman. A truly fine man in every respect.

I have been fortunate to meet and in a couple of cases get to know some of the greats in the world of fly fishing over the last 50+ years with fly rod in hand. Much to my disappointment Mr. Lemire was not one of them. Perhaps we'll meet...as they say...on the other side.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think that the Margaree Salmon Museum and the The Outdoor Heritage Museum in Oquossoc (Rangely, ME) are about the two best museums I've been to period. And I've been to many. The museum on the Cascapedia is pretty special too.

Emel

·
Administrator
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upon the moment you walk into the Margaree Salmon Museum, you are surrounded in heritage !!
A warm, welcoming atmosphere and very pleasant onlookers just oogling at the vintage reels, mostly Hardy's (a few Bogdans and Vom Hofe reels), old cane and Greenheart rods ... and of course flies !! As far as you can see. The old photos and paintings just show how deep the salmon tradition roots lay.

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
Upon the moment you walk into the Margaree Salmon Museum, you are surrounded in heritage !!
A warm, welcoming atmosphere and very pleasant onlookers just oogling at the vintage reels, mostly Hardy's (a few Bogdans and Vom Hofe reels), old cane and Greenheart rods ... and of course flies !! As far as you can see. The old photos and paintings just show how deep the salmon tradition roots lay.

Mike
Places like this show why there is so much more to our passion than just catching fish.

Emel

·
Registered
95 Posts
I understand your sentiments about being on the river with good friends. I just spent 4 days on Grande Cascapedia and the Bonaventure, First time but not the last. Saw lots of fish but none wanted to play. Maybe next year. Hope Springs Eternal. Ivan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, Mike. It's a treat to the eyes. How about a Speypages field trip to the museum next year, boys and girls?! (We can help name some of the "unknown" patterns that Mr Lemire tied) ;)
Oooo! Oooo! Oooo! (With frantically waving hand raised high overhead, like a sugared up second grader who has to pee)

Cape Breton Island, or what I consider poor man's Scotland, is a little slice of Heaven on earth, and the Margaree is the most heavenly part. Last there in 2017, and though I went to the museum, the Lemire display wasn't there yet. Now, I have a good reason to go back - not that I needed one. Salmon during the day, ceilidhs at night...Doesn't get any better n' that!

·
Administrator
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The display is new, I believe started assembly at the beginning of the season. Speaking with the curator, there are three more loads from Harry's collection set to be transported over the closed season.
I'm very excited about seeing more :whoa::whoa:

We have started making plans for next year's trip already :)
What are you guys planning ??

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts