Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I know Dan was looking for recipes, so I'll share this one. Found it on Collin Innes' site here

Tag- Silver twist and Crimson Silk
Tail- GP crest
Butt- Black Herl
Body- Orange silk and silver tinsel
Hackle- Grouse (I subbed CDL hen because of the hook size. Partridge would work equally well on smaller hooks)
Throat- Jay (I subbed guinea dyed Silver Doctor Blue)
Wings- Mallard over GP tail
Horns- Blue Macaw

·
Registered
873 Posts
It is always nice to see some of the old Hardy patterns. You did a bang up job with this one.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Doug

Reactions: unch

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
That is a dang good time on that hook! The body and the wing look great. I really like the way you set the tail low and not too long - also the tag is not too long. fits the hook platform perfectly.

·
Registered
Scott
9 Posts
Nice. The Hardy patterns are new to me. I’m getting the idea that these patterns are a bit simpler and use fewer material. Materials much less rare and expensive. Or am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very cool pattern and well tied. CDL is an interesting material.

Phanrakorva, not sure on Hardy patterns in this respect but if you are looking for lower cost, less exotic classics Irish patterns are a good place to start. E.J. Malone's book has a lot of good patterns.

·
Registered
Scott
9 Posts
Very cool pattern and well tied. CDL is an interesting material.

Phanrakorva, not sure on Hardy patterns in this respect but if you are looking for lower cost, less exotic classics Irish patterns are a good place to start. E.J. Malone's book has a lot of good patterns.
Thanks I will look for the book.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. The Hardy patterns are new to me. I’m getting the idea that these patterns are a bit simpler and use fewer material. Materials much less rare and expensive. Or am I wrong about this?
I don't think it's limited to just Hardy, you can find examples of less material intensive flies from most of the old guys (Hale, Kelson, PT,etc) it's just takes a bit of digging. These are the kind of patterns I reach for when tying in hand, and I quite often make substitutes for materials, like in this fly.

Check out Colin Innes' site I posted above. It's a fantastic resource with tons of patterns, variations, and photos to dig through. Quite a few of my recent flies have come from patterns I've found there, as I find having a photo reference super helpful in choosing and tying flies.

·
Inspector Skadgit
13'6" Loop Cross, Loop Classic 5/8, 7/9, 8/11, Echo TR 12'6", 13'6" Echo DH 12'9"
58 Posts
Gorgeous tying!...

Reactions: unch
1 - 17 of 17 Posts