Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

Are there any of you that have fished some of the spey rods made by Hardy? The company has been around forever, and I was wondering what their spey rods were like compared to Sage, Winston, etc? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a chance to cast the Angel 13' 8wt spey rod this spring, very nice rod, close to 2 grand retail though so out of my price range. Also cast a Loop Grey rod and a couple other makes that day and I kept coming back to the Angel, it was matched up with a Hardy Mach 1 salmon line and it cast beautifully. Ended up buying a Greys (made by Hardy) Greyflex 13' 9wt, for the price it was comparable to rods twice its price IMHO.

Colin

·
Registered
8 Posts
hardy

dear Sir!

I had opportunity to cast few new rods of hardy this summer. Angel was very modern rod for now a adays for Spey casting and Swift was allso. Swift was more slower acction to cast for my self, ( i still use CND:S ) and i´m very fruition
to cast this new series. I strill think the Angel is the rod to use. With the lines of Hardy. So easy to cast´and so aesy to make corrections. Very fine tools for summer. Again.

JP

·
Salmonfly3990
7 Posts
Hardy Angel 15ft

sIRS I HAVE USED THE ANGEL 15FT FOR THREE SEASONS I HAVE CAUGHT SALMON FROM 4LB TO 12 LB ALL IN ALL ABOUT 40 FISH THE ROD IS FANTASTIC DONT LISTEN TO THE SCAREMONGERS IT IS A FAST ACTION ROD THAT WORKS YOU DO HAVE TO BE PRECISE AS IT WILL PUNISH BAD CASTS BUT USED RIGHT IT WILL LEAVE MOST STANDING GREAT ROD MATCHED WITH THE ANGEL REEL AND THE RIO LINES

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a Hardy Swift 13' #8 and a 13' #9 Gem. Both are amazing rods. I recently had a chance to fish the Swift for large trout here in Alaska, and was pleased with how it performed with a Rio Skagit/sink tip set up. I'm seriously thinking about the Hardy Angel rod of the same weight and length.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm running a Hardy Swift 13'/8 for Kings and an 11'6"/7 for Steelhead and Coho. They are very light for their size and have a surprising amount of reserve power. Fish and Fly loved the 13/8 Swift in their two handed review. I haven't fished the Angel Spey, but everyone I've talked to who has, has nothing but raves, You will not find a finer finished production rod then the Angel. But they are not cheap, the 2 1/2, almost 3 to 1 exchange rate has taken care of bargains from England. I also love the Hardy Mach II line on the 13/8.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
I'm running a Hardy Swift 13'/8 for Kings and an 11'6"/7 for Steelhead and Coho. They are very light for their size and have a surprising amount of reserve power. Fish and Fly loved the 13/8 Swift in their two handed review. I haven't fished the Angel Spey, but everyone I've talked to who has, has nothing but raves, You will not find a finer finished production rod then the Angel. But they are not cheap, the 2 1/2, almost 3 to 1 exchange rate has taken care of bargains from England. I also love the Hardy Mach II line on the 13/8.
You are the Hardy rep for the Midwest, correct?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You are the Hardy rep for the Midwest, correct?
Yep, It's not something I try to hide.

But I OWN all old Hardy reels, except a Ross San Miquel that got in there by accident. And I own a couple of Hardy rods bought before I got the job. As far as the new Spey rods, I haven't done a lot of comparison on the 13/8, but I would take the Swift 11'6" 7 if I was spending my own money. And I do own plenty of other companies rods, including Winston, Scott and Sage. The two rules I follow on forums are number one, I'm not a salesman on the forum. If someone ask about a Ross reel, I'm not going to suggest they look at a Hardy instead. And I don't knock other companies products.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
burk,

Your rules for operating on forums are good ones - as a Pro-Staffer myself I try to follow a similar credo - and wish all others in the industry would do so as well. Anyway, Spey Pages prefers that industry types include their affiliations in their signature lines, this simply avoids any confusion. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts