Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from meeting with Hardy rep. guess what...?

The Bougle mk 4 is discontinued and unavailable in either the U.S. or England.
The Bougle mk 4 is replaced with the mk 5 with a questionable green and champagne finish. (The green is racing green, read Jaguar green) the reel is essentially the same, but due to exchange rates, went up to $615.00 in the 4" size!!!!
D'oh!

Other prices of all reels are similarly increased.
Anybody know of a cheap Bogdan? :razz:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have one of those new 4" green Bouglé reels. The finish looks attractive in my mind but, of course, that's in the eye of the beholder. As for the price, I've been regularly seeing them new on eBay for around US$300. The new model is also a tad lighter than the Mk IV.

I have noticed that Hardy seems to be following suit with the US manufactures and changing their lines rather frequently these days. I'm not sure that's in their best long-term interest to adopt this strategy though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do not look too bad, and I welcome the lighter weight. I will probably get one for myself, however for my customers, $600+ bucks is a total turn off. I really wonder if they didn't hire some crazy goon as their marketing and product direction head.
Erik

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
ERIK HELM said:
They do not look too bad, and I welcome the lighter weight. I will probably get one for myself, however for my customers, $600+ bucks is a total turn off. I really wonder if they didn't hire some crazy goon as their marketing and product direction head.
Erik
Where are you located? Surely not the U.S. Even the Gold special edition is $500.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Jeez if they are really $615 forget it. You can get an old perfect on ebay for less than that which is a better reel IMHO and it will hold its value.

-sean

·
Registered
215 Posts
pescaphile said:
I have noticed that Hardy seems to be following suit with the US manufactures and changing their lines rather frequently these days. I'm not sure that's in their best long-term interest to adopt this strategy though.
Yes, this is a subject that has come up on the UK-based board which some members here use. I think Hardy is trading too much on their name and historical reputation, and targetting the collectors market too much.

Repro. Cascapedias and Bougles are all very well, but they're hardly forward-looking, are they? And some people might suggest that they're not all that well made, either - designed for collection and display rather than hard usage. What would you think if Ford announced that their exciting new product for 2005 was a reproduction model T? Particularly if they were selling it at a similar price to a top-of-the-range modern production car!

Collectible tackle is all very well, but what made Hardy the premier collectors brand was the sheer quality of their product. No doubt some of their stuff is still good, but it saddens me as an Englishman to admit that I think they've lost their way somewhat, and aren't at the leading edge of tackle design and production as they were for 100 years or so.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
UK based board??

Gardener posted:

"Yes, this is a subject that has come up on the UK-based board which some members here use. "

What board is this??

·
Registered
113 Posts
What about the Marquis?

I just wish that Hardy would reproduce the Marquis. It was a good, honestly priced reel, that gives years of no thrills service. Nothing much to go wrong with them. My Marquis Salmon No.3 is one of the older brass foot models and all I've had to do is replace the springs. Cost (2 springs and 2 pawls in a packet) £4 ($8).

There still seems to be a demand for them. Even the lighter replacement, the Viscount MkIII, never stayed on the market for long.

It now seems hard to get a salmon sized hardy reel for under £200. All I want is a good, well machined, spring and pawl model. No need for state of the art drag, space age technology, hocus pocus, nonsense marketing, wallet emptying, tripe.

Ah, but the drag on a cheaper reel may not work when wet - nonsense, my hand works perfectly well, palming the spool - wet or dry!!!

I could rant for hours on the way fishing tackle marketing is going, and the way the tackle industry as a whole is going, but I think I've said enough for now -JUST BRING BACK THE MARQUIS!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Moose - PM sent.

Gary - I agree completely. Marquises are brilliant reels, and real workhorses. More than adequate for any UK freshwater application, and much better than some other similar-looking reels. As it happens, I was discussing this last weekend over lunch during a grayling fishing trip, as we were looking at one of Hardy's more recent (though already discontinued) offerings. The build quality and simplicity of a Marquis would probably make it my 'desert island reel'. And as someone else there pointed out, his son and grandson will probably be able to fish with his Marquises.

I believe a Salmon no 2 went for over £200 on ebay recently - apparently it was in unused condition and so will probably be added to someone's collection rather than ever be allowed near water. If Hardy were to relaunch them, let's just hope that their heads aren't turned too much by the collectors market, and that they make them to the old high standards, as reels to be used and not simply to look pretty on a shelf.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gardener,

I agree, a Marquis will go on singing for years.
I know all about the reels on ebay, I've been trying to purchase a Salmon No.2 from ebay for a while. The problem, as you suggest, is the collecters seem to be paying silly money for them. It's so frustrating when you want one to actually use for the purpose intended.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Absolutely agree about the Marquis. Got a older Salmon 2 and extra spool on Ebay for around $240 last year, and couldn't be happier. Simple, straighforward, solidly built, no frills, and it sings. At the end of the day, I toss it in the bag and don't worry about it. Scratched and worn in places from the previous owner, but I like that too.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I hate to admit this publicly (don't let me wife know) but I have 15 Hardy Marquis reels that I use*. I have three #5s, a couple of 7s, a few 8/9s, three salmon #1s, three salmon 2s and two salmon 3s. In addition, I have an extra 25 spools in various sizes. All these have various lines & backing on them — and I use them all (except for maybe two of them). If I owned this many "high class" reels, I'd never be able to afford most of my travel fishing.

They are the only reels I use except for tarpon, where I use one of the wonderful old burgundy colored SA System 3 reels (great reel).

I've caught everything from 4" brook trout to steelhead, Atlantic salmon of over 30 lbs, bonefish, stripers, false albacore, dorado (mahi mahi), roosterfish and everything in between on Marquis reels. I agree . . . all you need is the palming rim. One of the most under rated (most reliable and beloved) reels around. Lovely, affordable reel.

Bill

*Actually, two of the 5 wt reels are my wife's.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It looked OK but appeared to be attached to the rod backwards. I'm pleased to see that your one Andre is correct. These youngsters will never learn

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,474 Posts
Actually I noticed that Andre's pics appeared to be wrong. In fact all of his Perfect's and he has way too many, have the handle on the wrong side. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts