Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think that if you spend the money on a Pate you'll still want a Perfect. So, my recommendation is to fish what you have now and save the bucks and put them towards EXACTLY what you want. It is money well spent in the long run...

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NrthFrk16 said:
buy a pate. start a trend dana. get everyone buying pates so the common man can again afford a perfect.
you know, not to take this thread off in another direction, but that really is a big concern. Old Perfects are getting really expensive. I actually had someone approach me not too long ago and said only half-jokingly "Gee Dana, thanks to the Speypages none of us can afford Perfects anymore!"

(Secret Confession: I don't think I can afford Perfects anymore either!)

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
Dana,If you can find a single action Pate/marlin you won't be disapointed,though the anti-reverse reels are sweet also.
I don,t own a Hardy,But a 4.25 perfect is on my must have list so it's not like I don't like old Hardy's.
If I was big enough to roll Kush I'd have his perfect.:saevilw:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up an older non ported Marlin and it has the weight to balance my outfit nicely. It's more reel than you need. But, it can do double duty if you want to go to the salt? The pate is a great product!

If you are willing to go the non conventional route you should look towards TFO. Looking at the specs of the TFO-Hayden reels, You can't really beat the set up. They are the Hayden reels taken over to Korea and milled out in mass. They even have the Anodized III coating which is supper durable and will most likely resist the solvents necessary to remove the ugly graphics.

???

·
Registered
283 Posts
I bailed on my Pate. I wasn't a big fan of drag setting being inside the handle and the handle was not the nice "Gorilla" handles they have on the Tibor. Found my line tangling around that handle too much even with the best line management techniques I could muster. Between that and tweaking my drag without smashing my knuckles did it in for me.

Went in on a Nautilus instead. Very nice.

-Chris

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dana,

Pick up that Perfect now before you regret it. They will only increase in price. And they are one heck of a reel.

There is a sweet 1906 4" on e-bay right as we speak that's at $200 with 4 days to go that I bet will sell for $500-$700.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both...

I have both, Perfects and Pates. They are both awesome. There is nothing like fishing a Perfect - they are a pleasure in every way. They do, however, have an Achilles heel which is that since they're cast and not machined they are quite fragile when it comes to the dreaded drop on a rock. I see a lot of Perfects on eBay with a cracked frame... don't see that with any other reels. And, they don't seem to do well with the salt either. The Pate on the other hand may just be the toughest reel there is. It looks great, sounds pretty good (nothing sounds as good as a Perfect), is tough as hell, comes in great sizes and weights, and isn't effected in the least by salt. One thing to be aware of with the Pates though is that the sizes and weights that Tibor publishes is wrong. I don't know why they do that but the Tarpon, for instance, is said to be 4" and 13oz. Mine is 3 3/4" and weighs 11.2oz. The Marlin and Bonefish are 1/4" smaller than they say too but I didn't weight them without line so I don't know the true weights for those two.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How can you miss with a Pate and Perfect in your arsenal. I would go with the nuckel busting Pate over a Hardy for Salmon and the Perfect for mykiss. The direct drive Pate's are hard to find these day's, built like a tank, and offer the versatility to venture south to the flats. One problem you will find with the old Hardy's is the length of the reel foot and current rod manufaturers real seats that don't accommodate the old style length of foot. If you have or run accross an old 4-4 1/4" Hardy with the long foot don't cut it sell it to me!;)

Chas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts