Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i own a sage vxp 6129-4, love the rod to death, but in the neighborhood for a new reel. I was eye balling a Hardy Uniqua #5 was not sure if it would be to big/ heavy. i currently have a ion 8/10 on it and its pretty light an tip heavy. any thoughts of recommendations would be cool!

thanks,
Clinton

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine weighs around 8.? ounces empty, which would be fine on your rod. It holds a 7/8 XLT long belly plus ample backing, so you'd have line capacity to burn. Well you can always add extra backing (expensive) or string under the backing (cheap).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks man, is yours disc or clicker? if disc how are the drags on those bad boys?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It's a disc drag. Smooth, perhaps not as powerful at maximum as I'd wish, but probably adequate.

If available, a #4 might be a better fit for your rod.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Hi i own a sage vxp 6129-4, love the rod to death, but in the neighborhood for a new reel. I was eye balling a Hardy Uniqua #5 was not sure if it would be to big/ heavy. i currently have a ion 8/10 on it and its pretty light an tip heavy. any thoughts of recommendations would be cool!

thanks,
Clinton
Before I chime in, I would like to ask if you are talking about the black Uniqua or the silver-coloured reel. Cheers, Buff.

·
Registered
153 Posts

thanks,
Clinton

I have the same rod and reel. IMO, it's size is a tad big for the rod, but the weight is ok. I use the reel on a 14' 8wt. Plenty of capacity to fit just about any 8/9 wt line. I have a 8wt XLT on one spool. A Gaelforce 63 8/9 on the other spool.

briansII

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
XLT fly lines? A small segway from this thread.

Years back and 'Charity Spey Casting Clinics' wife 2.0 and I hosted. Casting Instructors were Steve Choate, Way Yin. (spelling there probably sucks). Proto's of those lines and Steve could put out all 120 feet in the air.

We all fell to our knees, groveled, before the MASTER CASTER. 2.0 and I hosted several of these and close to $10,000 dollars out to youth fishing programs around the United States.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Add the brass knob to the Ion, that will add 2.3 oz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts