Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this recently thinking I was buying a vintage Uniqua for trout spey. When I got it I realized it was not like what I thought it was going to be, ie: the classic caged Uniqua. This one has a palming rim and is made from cast metal. The guy I bought it from was selling it for the estate a friend who recently passed away. He told me that it was purchased by his friend back in the 70s - along with several other Hardy reels - after Hardy announced that they were putting up their prices by 35%.
Anyway, I'd never seen a Uniqua like this with the palming rim and wondered if anyone knows anything about this particular reel. Being cast metal, was it a lower end version of the Uniqua? I've since seen a couple of larger ones on Turner and Spinoza but no information on them.
Hoping to hear from someone who knows anything about it.
Thanks for your consideration,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am not exactly sure when this incarnation of the Uniqua came along, it was not in the '78 catalogue and was gone by '84. It was included in the '81 catalogue, when I purchased mine. It was an attempt at a lower cost fly reel, cast rather than machined- the body in any case, complete with integrated foot, or 'back', as Hardy's called them at the time. It was cast from magnesium which makes the reel very light. I like the solid face and the inside spring and pawl are basic, yet not 'cheap'. I found the foot/ back somewhat thick for some reel fittings. I have used mine very little over the years and did find that the enamel finish tended to pop off at the edges with some white deposits being revealed on the base metal.

Catalogue is tricky to read due to intrusive graph paper effect.. however, it reads:

Hardy Uniqua Reel

A very light fly reel made from the same magnesium castings as the Viscount but the spool is not drilled and the check mechanism is not adjustable but is reversible for right or left hand wind. the lineguard is of chrome plated finish.

Came in 3 sizes:
3 1/4", 3 1/2", 3 3/4"

Both the Uniqua and Viscount reels mentioned did not seem to last long, probably as there were many other British made fly reels on the market at the time, more importantly the quality of the castings fell due to worn out dies which became an issue, the Uniqua being presumably cast from the same dies as the Viscount. The Viscount was taken out of the catalogue in 1984.
During the '60's Hardy's had tried with the economical 'Gem' reel which similarly was not produced for very long.

Malcolm

Viscount 'worn die' information, from James Hardy's book on the firm.

Fin Camera lens Wood Fish Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not exactly sure when this incarnation of the Uniqua came along, it was not in the '78 catalogue and was gone by '84. It was included in the '81 catalogue, when I purchased mine. It was an attempt at a lower cost fly reel, cast rather than machined- the body in any case, complete with integrated foot, or 'back', as Hardy's called them at the time. It was cast from magnesium which makes the reel very light. I like the solid face and the inside spring and pawl are basic, yet not 'cheap'. I found the foot/ back somewhat thick for some reel fittings. I have used mine very little over the years and did find that the enamel finish tended to pop off at the edges with some white deposits being revealed on the base metal.

Catalogue is tricky to read due to intrusive graph paper effect.. however, it reads:

Hardy Uniqua Reel

A very light fly reel made from the same magnesium castings as the Viscount but the spool is not drilled and the check mechanism is not adjustable but is reversible for right or left hand wind. the lineguard is of chrome plated finish.

Came in 3 sizes:
3 1/4", 3 1/2", 3 3/4"

Both the Uniqua and Viscount reels mentioned did not seem to last long, probably as there were many other British made fly reels on the market at the time, more importantly the quality of the castings fell due to worn out dies which became an issue, the Uniqua being presumably cast from the same dies as the Viscount. The Viscount was taken out of the catalogue in 1984.
During the '60's Hardy's had tried with the economical 'Gem' reel which similarly was not produced for very long.

Malcolm

Viscount 'worn die' information, from James Hardy's book on the firm.

View attachment 386525 View attachment 386526
Wow, fantastic information. Much more than I was expecting! Thanks Malcolm. This is great to know. As it turns out, it is far too light for my intended purpose so I’m thinking of putting it on SP for sale. Any idea what it would be worth? Is it collectable at all? It’s brand new and before I tried it on my trout Spey had never been lined. It virtually mint and still has the zipped case, the box and the little instruction/information sheet. I paid $175 CDN for it but I have a feeling that was more than it’s worth. What do you think?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not particularly collectable, I would say, though you may get your money back as it is new in box.
Yes, they are very light reels.
Malcolm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts