Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends :)
Wondering if any other member here has had any experience with the drag on the Hardy Ultralite Salmon Disc reel ??

Looks fairly simplistic, so not much I hope that could go wrong. I'm more of a Gear & Pawl guy and this is really my only "Disc Drag" reel.

Anyone have any experiences, thoughts or insight ??

Mike

·
loco alto!
3,024 Posts
A rather light disc drag system that readily surrenders line, even at max ... fine for situations where you’d normally use a gear and pawl reel.

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A rather light disc drag system that readily surrenders line, even at max ... fine for situations where you’d normally use a gear and pawl reel.
Steve, do you have first hand experience with one of these reels ?? Are they durable ?? I know they bare the Hardy name, so should be a quality reel.
Not looking for a killer drag at all. I can apply rim pressure much like a G&P if needed.
Just trying to get a feeling how they fair with use on steelhead from 5 to 14 pounds.

Mike

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,876 Posts
Steve, do you have first hand experience with one of these reels ?? Are they durable ?? I know they bare the Hardy name, so should be a quality reel.
Not looking for a killer drag at all. I can apply rim pressure much like a G&P if needed.
Just trying to get a feeling how they fair with use on steelhead from 5 to 14 pounds.

Mike
When I fished the Thompson waaaay back when it was still viable to fish this was one of my go to reels.....never a problem in anyway....one of the few disc drags that’s made for steel :grin2:

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Registered
RL Winston, Loop Classic, Hardy Perfect
874 Posts
I have the newer Hardy CADD Ultralites for my 5-7 weight SHers and also the 8-9 version I use for my 5 weight spey/switch , and they work really well. In fact, the 5-6-7 I use on my 4 weight trout spey, too, and got into some Deschutes steelies with it, and it worked great. I keep the drag fairly low, so I can't speak for the so called "stopping power" I sometimes hear about, but it worked great during the fights. I increased the drag a click or two after the fish stopped the initial run, etc., and everything was flawless. A friend of mine also has this reel, though, and he said something went wrong with it. I don't remember the exact details, but it was along the lines of the drag system failing or breaking, if I recall correctly. I think the adjust knob stopped being able to change the drag??

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I fished the Thompson waaaay back when it was still viable to fish this was one of my go to reels.....never a problem in anyway....one of the few disc drags that’s made for steel :grin2:
Well then, I feel much better now about this reel :D:D
Thanks Bruce for your input !!

Mike

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A friend of mine also has this reel, though, and he said something went wrong with it. I don't remember the exact details, but it was along the lines of the drag system failing or breaking, if I recall correctly. I think the adjust knob stopped being able to change the drag??
Was it the same model that I have shown, or the newer "techy" version ??

Mike

·
loco alto!
3,024 Posts

Mike

Bruce got it right.

And yes, I've owned this reel ... twice. First was ca. 1999-2002, at which time it worked fine for the size range of steelface trout that you mention, though I sold it for a gear/pawl reel. Then just a few years ago I grabbed another with intent to use on sea-bright chinook, but had forgotten the disc drag was mild until I took delivery ... and so sold that one, too, before ever fishing it (use beefier Tibor/Danielsson discs with Mr. Nookie). I still use multiple JLH Salmon gear/pawl reels for steelhead, nice capacity for short-light (12-13' 7 wt) rods

--

One tidbit to mention on durability, because it is mostly a fish story. I once bent a reel handle on a gear/pawl JLH Salmon (the handles on the salmon disc version are the same). This happened when a hefty steelhead ran downstream to a heavy-water tailout, with no room for me to chase to the next pool. I was holding the fish stationary using the reel handle (instead of palming) so that I could gain a few inches of line whenever possible. The force bent the reel handle. An email to Archuleta fixed it. This was an unusual situation and other reels may have bent, too .. just something to consider if you're trying to hold a heavy fish with the reel handle.

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply Steve.
Fortunately, I don't think I have ever been in a situation like that, that I can remember anyway. But good food for thought !!

I do want one of those JLH's or Viscount MKIII's one day :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a couple of these early edition Ultralights and I have fished them in the PNW, Canada, Russia, Ireland, and across the U.K. for over twenty years. I have the later Ultralite, Gems, Cascapedia, Bougle, Cascapedia and Marquis and can say with confidence the first edition Ultralite are as tough as they come and in my opinion more solidly built than any of them(one of them is numbered). Absolutely bomb proof. The disc drag is not that good compared with some of my other reels but it excellent for palming. I have had Atlantic’s up to 30 lbs and never been a problem. The only thing I have ever done to them is put a bit of reel lubricant on them and that’s not very often. If a reel can survive Russia they can survive anything. Have no fears you have made a good choice.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I use a model 7/8 on my Light Salmon rod and have zero complaints with the reel. Our fish may be easier to land here but I doubt it :) The drag strength on my own 7/8 is quite strong and without disassembling the reel I'll tell you how I think they work.

If you look at the photo supplied with the OP you see the composite material that makes up the entire hub area of the cog mounted to the back side of the spool. That is the breaking surface and those screws are recessed. When you turn the drag selector toward full on that machined stainless bushing / disc at the base of the spindle rises up from the cage because the mechanism inside the cage is finely threaded. Much like a one sided caliper pressing against the composite disc on the reel spool. A reel in good working order has very tight tolerance where the spool catches into the seat of the machined spindle and once latched they have no play that I can feel once any drag is applied. Mine remains tight even with drag full off.

Since I began using one I've played many silver salmon, large trout and 3 steelhead of good size with the reel. No issues here :)

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a couple of these early edition Ultralights and I have fished them in the PNW, Canada, Russia, Ireland, and across the U.K. for over twenty years. I have the later Ultralite, Gems, Cascapedia, Bougle, Cascapedia and Marquis and can say with confidence the first edition Ultralite are as tough as they come and in my opinion more solidly built than any of them(one of them is numbered). Absolutely bomb proof. The disc drag is not that good compared with some of my other reels but it excellent for palming. I have had Atlantic’s up to 30 lbs and never been a problem. The only thing I have ever done to them is put a bit of reel lubricant on them and that’s not very often. If a reel can survive Russia they can survive anything. Have no fears you have made a good choice.
Great info and thank you for posting this :)

Mike

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a model 7/8 on my Light Salmon rod and have zero complaints with the reel. Our fish may be easier to land here but I doubt it :) The drag strength on my own 7/8 is quite strong and without disassembling the reel I'll tell you how I think they work.

If you look at the photo supplied with the OP you see the composite material that makes up the entire hub area of the cog mounted to the back side of the spool. That is the breaking surface and those screws are recessed. When you turn the drag selector toward full on that machined stainless bushing / disc at the base of the spindle rises up from the cage because the mechanism inside the cage is finely threaded. Much like a one sided caliper pressing against the composite disc on the reel spool. A reel in good working order has very tight tolerance where the spool catches into the seat of the machined spindle and once latched they have no play that I can feel once any drag is applied. Mine remains tight even with drag full off.

Since I began using one I've played many silver salmon, large trout and 3 steelhead of good size with the reel. No issues here :)
Thanks Ard, again some more great info :)
I'm really glad I held on to this reel ... love the sexy look :smokin:

Mike

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I have one in the salmon size & fish it on my 13 footers as it balances nicely on light rods. It is an excellent reel, I caught several Atlantic salmon on it this year & I fish it with confidence.

I also have a pair of the 8/9 size I use on my 10 ft single handers for night time sea trout (sea run browns) fishing - & I've taken quite a few really hot ones in double figures on these and the drags have always performed faultlessly - I've never needed to wind them right up as they would have snapped a 10 - 12 lb tippet on a big sea trout going nuts if I had.

Had them all for years & still use them regularly.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
Thanks Ard, again some more great info :)
I'm really glad I held on to this reel ... love the sexy look :smokin:

Mike
I really do use the reel but like all my reels it can be hard to tell visually ;)

I told you wrong Mike, it's an 8/9 size so just a tad smaller than yours.

I matched it to my 1984 Orvis Light Salmon 8 weight rod that I've also managed not to scuff up :D

That's how I spell Sweeeet buddy, with one of those 300 grain single hand Spey tapers RIO sells on small rivers (50 - 60 feet width) it is just a swell rod to use. Managed to get a new rear cork last year when I took that pic and changed lines the same day.

·
Administrator
18,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ard , I'm like you, it's hard to tell that I use my gear at all. I am very careful with it, but I do use it, not abuse it. I don't put my rods and reels on rocks. I land fish in minimum knee deep water anyways, so any rocks are usually underwater.

Thanks Tyke for the added info and for the thumbs up, just adds to my confidence level :)

These reels are definitely under rated and overlooked.

Mike

·
loco alto!
3,024 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve.
Fortunately, I don't think I have ever been in a situation like that,
No worries, I don’t consider an ass whoopin’ by steelhead to be unfortunate. It cost me some money, but for a good winter day where I only vaguely remember catching 3 fish, I most clearly remember the ass whoopin’ :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts