Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please see this pic and tell me if this is normal on the St. Johns

See the sleeve blocking the check screw from settling to the frame. I want to remove it because the check is too strong but wonder if they were all made this way or if this is some add-on from hardy or someone else. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Banned
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little bump...

thought there would be a decent supply of St. John owners here.

Did the Mk I or II check also have a sleeve? Is this why the St. John's are known for noise and heavy checks?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The sleeve is only a retainer for the tensioner-screw. It is the same on other Hardy reels. On those of mine with the same retainer - it does not slip off without breaking it and has nothing to do with tension other than keeping the screw in place. But - you should still be able to slip the springs off their posts and squeeze them to make them softer if you feel they are too tight or to replace them...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Archuleta would be a good resource for your question.

Archuleta's Reel Works
Fishing Store
733 Detrick Dr, Grants Pass, OR 97527
(541) 956-1691

·
Registered
78 Posts
The spring end that is hooded can easily be repositioned outside of the
mechanism by removing the pawl then remove and reposition the spring once that is done you can put the pawl back.
When repositioned this way the spring will rest on the reel frame.

I have done this and it will decrease the spring tension.
As a matter of fact you can reposition one or both depending on what you
want as tension.

The reel will work very nicely.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll try Distant anglers suggestion, I can see how that would work but I'll lose the "adjustment" option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts