Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which reel has the greatest line capacity, the Hardy Marquis 10 or the Hardy St. Aidan. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I fish both and the St. Aiden has a wider spool and more capacity than the #10. Great reels for 4 & 5 wt. speys, I would say I grab the # 10 more often just because of the rim control for palming. The largest line I have put on the #10 was a 390 compact SKAGIT with a grip shooter running line and enough backing that I felt comfortable chasing steel with it. What rod and line are you think about for these reels?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
David1123

I want a reel for my Meiser 4/5 switch rod, and I use a 7wt. Airflo 40 Plus line. I heard the St. Aidan holds about 100 yards more backing than the Marquis 10 with a 8wt. DT line. Does this sound right to anyone.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
I want a reel for my Meiser 4/5 switch rod, and I use a 7wt. Airflo 40 Plus line. I heard the St. Aidan holds about 100 yards more backing than the Marquis 10 with a 8wt. DT line. Does this sound right to anyone.
Hello.. Nah, not really.. Looking at the small pamphlet as supplied with reels in those days, it states, St. Aidan first: DT9 + 120 yds, WF9 + 240 yds. Marquis #10 will sport: DT9 + 50 yds, WF9 + 175 yds. Capacity with a DT8 line is not stated for the # 10 reel, I´m afraid.. Yours borano20

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I use a 3 5/8 in Perfect on my Meiser 45. 100 yds 20 lb, and sometimes a 6 wt 40+ with about 20 ft cut off the running line.

I think you're looking larger than you need, though I don't remember the sizes above the Princess.

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
There is a nice, easy to read chart of many of the (english) marquis' here (scroll down to find it):

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67092

My Aidans look to have about the same volume as the Salmon 1, but is 5.8 oz where as the salmon 1 is in high 7's. YMMV, but salmon 1 balances a 6 weight spey pretty perfectly where as the Aidan is pretty good for a 5 wt switch. I'm planning on using a #7 (4.5 oz) on my Meiser 3/4/5 switch when it get here early next month. Its a TM conversion rod and I was planning on using the Aidan on the 3/4/5 13' spey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts