Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A question for you Hardy heads out there.

I have two Bougle` 4" Salmon reels. Pretty much identical except for one, when the adjusting screw is maxed out, actually has a pretty good drag to it. The other one, zilch, barely enough to stop overrun. Now I know overrun is all I need to be concerned about and I am not expecting disc drag like performance, just enough so that 4-6" of line doesn't come off with every cast.

Are their heavier springs available or is it safe to assume that maybe one has been bent to be stiffer?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tip,

The drag should be better than just enough to eliminate over run. Take the spools off and check the pawls one reel may have both engaged, or one might be reversed.. If that doesn't produce any changes try reversing the springs in the weak reel.

andre

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I had checked the pawls but didn't think about switching the springs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

It may seem like a silly question but is there an easy way of removing the springs without brute force?

I have the same problem. The spring being used is very slightly shorter than the other one and while compressing does not always slide in the nickel silver housing resulting in very little drag.

Regards,

Clobemonman.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Switching the springs did the trick for me.

clobemonman- brute force is the only way to go, the spring bars are riveted to the frame. The use of a pen, mini screw driver etc. can help slip them out.
make sure the spring tension is fully loosened bringing the housing close to the frame, then your pen (etc.) can be used to guide the end of the spring inside of the housing.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
A question for you Hardy heads out there.

I have two Bougle` 4" Salmon reels. Pretty much identical except for one, when the adjusting screw is maxed out, actually has a pretty good drag to it. The other one, zilch, barely enough to stop overrun. Now I know overrun is all I need to be concerned about and I am not expecting disc drag like performance, just enough so that 4-6" of line doesn't come off with every cast.

Are their heavier springs available or is it safe to assume that maybe one has been bent to be stiffer?
You have worn it out, its worthless. You can send it to me and I'll toss it in my Spring Lake TWP recycle bin to be picked up Monday. I'll even cover shipping, to keep it out of the landfill. :hihi:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jamey,

Silly me, I already recycled it. And, to add insult to injury, I used the recycle credit to buy a bunch of old Perfects and their springs are worn out too. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts