Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
I have a Hardy Bouglé reel that has served me well for two years now. It's time to clean it. I took off the reverse thread screw but I can't disconnect the spool from the frame. Any hints?
Don't tell me to take it to the local dealer as that's where my helpful saleperson put a nice two inch scratch across the spool. Ouch!:Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hold the spool with one hand to stop it revolving, now unwind the plate by reeling anti-clockwise. It might be a bit stiff after two years but a tap with the palm of your hand should do it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
pescaphile said:
Change the direction clockwise in WG's instructions if your reel is configured for left-hand winding.
I assumed it was standard as the screw was a reverse thread?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You're correct WG. It makes no difference whether it's set up for left or right-hand wind. It is, afterall, still the same spindle with the same threads. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If I can expand this question a bit ..

There are two 'triangular' bits that control the spool tention. Dumb Shxt here moved (replaced?) them wrong (I think) and now minimal spool tention. Anyone have a 'picture/line drawing' showing how these darned things should be properly placed.:saevilw:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Fred are you a proper winder or a colonial?
Look at the active check and it should be point up.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hold it Malcolm :tsk_tsk: I am a colonial.... but I wind proper :hihi:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Willie Gunn said:
Fred are you a proper winder or a colonial?
Look at the active check and it should be point up.
Well .... not sure what a proper winder may be ... unless you mean I set my reels up for a right handed operation. Thanks for the info, I'll pull the bugger apart and see there the 'pointie things' are aimed.:hihi:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hardy reel maintenance

Well I wish everything in Life was as simple as Hardy reel maintenance. All I had to do was follow Malcom's advice and she came right apart in my hands. Thanks for the help.
The reel is running smooth as butter again.:smokin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I hope you jut used a light oil. I hate grease, if fishing in the cold it really stiffens up.

Kush You could almost be an honoury Scotsman, you just have to get rid of that over the shoulder single.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.