Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start out by saying that the Hardy Perfect is a beautiful piece of equipment, if I had the cash I would be using one maybe?

Why are these reels so damn expensive? I work for a machine shop and I know how much goes into one of these reels. Just my thoughts and opinion that it is a little to pricey for what you are getting.

But I guess if the buyer is happy and satisfied with what he or she pays for that's all that matters.

I just want to hear some comments on this. No fighting allowed not trying to pick on anyone or any brand just want true feelings about this.

KC

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I would totally agree with, if people are willing to pay that price why not charge that price?

Just like in MLB why does a player get paid 40 million per year, simply because the team was willing to pay him that.

Excellent point!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can see people ponying up for the vintage pre war ones.
Not sure why the tariff for the modern machines versions either...

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I imagine you also have to factor in the import duties as they are made in the UK & so when this (+ the importers margin) is added in it will put the cost up if you purchase in the USA or Canada.

We have the reverse situation here in the UK where US made rods cost about the same figure in £s here as they do in $s in the US (ie. about 60 percent more).

Don't you just love all those extra little taxes on everything?

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Vintage stuff often commands more money...due to rarity, heritage, etc. Cars, guns, etc....just because something is "technically inferior" does not mean it can't be worth money.

The modern Perfects have a lot of design and labor into them...as far as I know, and they are made in relatively small numbers. Kind of like why does a modern Harley cost more than the techy-est whiz bang bike from Japan?

Every kind of consumer good out there has the same sort of comparisons...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quality, name recognition - tradition -

and even though they cost hundreds - they sound like a million.

it gives me something to admire when the fish do not co-operate

it may very well be something you can't justify, but so are many other things we enjoy.

my oldest hardy reel is a hundred years old - the newest has not been wet yet. I hope my grand kids and then great grand kids will enjoy them after i am gone.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I buy them because I like them. I got my first one by accident. It came with a rod I bought from a fellow member. I intended to sell the reel. But I couldn't.

I have purchased several more since then. I don't know why. I have other reels that are less expensive and one could even argue that they perform better but I just like the Hardy's. I like the sound. I like the look.

I don't get to fish as much as I would like to and the Hardy Perfects enhance my experience. I have one fishing buddy that agrees with me 100%. He refers to it as a "perfect obsession". The others think I'm nuts. I am nuts but for totally separate reasons.

I have too many rods that I paid too much money for too and I like to drink expensive beer when Bud would probably do but you can't take the money with you when go and if you've got enough extra left over after the bills are paid. Might as well spend it on stuff you like. :)

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I buy them because I like them. I got my first one by accident. It came with a rod I bought from a fellow member. I intended to sell the reel. But I couldn't.

I have purchased several more since then. I don't know why. I have other reels that are less expensive and one could even argue that they perform better but I just like the Hardy's. I like the sound. I like the look.

I don't get to fish as much as I would like to and the Hardy Perfects enhance my experience. I have one fishing buddy that agrees with me 100%. He refers to it as a "perfect obsession". The others think I'm nuts. I am nuts but for totally separate reasons.

I have too many rods that I paid too much money for too and I like to drink expensive beer when Bud would probably do but you can't take the money with you when go and if you've got enough extra left over after the bills are paid. Might as well spend it on stuff you like. :)
Absolutely right! [especially the quality beer comment].

If using a particular reel/ makes the fishing more enjoyable then go for it. I love using my Hardy St John's on my switch rods for salmon or on my single handers for night fishing for sea trout [sea run browns] simply because the sound they make when a fish sets off makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

Also, thinking purely in financial terms, the depreciation is probably far less on classic hardy reels than on high tech moderm reels which, whilst the newest thing this year, can be out of date in 2 or 3 years & lack the "Soul" of a classic reel to maintain their second hand value.

Also I like simplicity, easier to look after, less to go wrong - just look at the number of Perfects well past their three score & ten years which are still in regular use & will continue given basic care & maintenance.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Undertaker
1,368 Posts
why high end equipment is expensive

Someone earlier mentioned supply and demand. Only Hardy makes Perfects (ignoring the counterfeits). They have a loyal following. Limited supply and high demand equals high price. But that's not the whole story. Imagine if you will, how those owners of Perfects would feel if Hardy suddenly dropped the price in half? They might feel cheated. For things that are priced much higher than the cost of production - and have a loyal following, keeping the price high adds to what is termed snob appeal. This is like diamonds, especially high end diamonds, that are horded by De Beers to keep the price up. It isn't just De Beers they're protecting, its the entire diamond market. BTW - I think that this is also a reason Abel reels are so expensive. Yes, I think the margin (difference between the cost of production and sales price) is very high, but I think most Perfect owners want it to stay just the way it is.

·
Banned
690 Posts
As you say..."I buy them because I like them..." That's good enough (though one size doesn't fit all)

The pre-war stuff is nice enough, to be sure. But I wouldn't spend that kind of money...certainly not for what I take to be an "adequate" reel...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts