Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dom
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had discussion started about my next reel purchase and been convinced and now excited to purchase my first Hardy. Perfect Taupo 3 7/8. After doing some research and little help of my friend I found out that there are two modern Taupo versions offered, pre 2012 and current Wide. Im debating between the two.

Pre 2012 non-wide Taupo weights at 7.5oz
Current Wide Taupo is 9.9oz

I think that non-wide would balance my current rod better than wide, but I really like wide reels from aesthetic aspect. How do these two reels compare in size, aesthetics, components, and such?

I am really thankfull for all that participates in my threads and helps me out! Such a great community! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
3 7/8" Perfects

The standard size 3 7/8" Perfect measures approx. 13/16" inside the spool. A Taupo 3 7/8" Perfect measures 1" inside the spool.

The Taupo was originally produced for a few years to meet a demand for a reel of larger capacity for fishing Lake Taupo in New Zealand.

The original Perfects were discontinued sometime between 1965 and 1970, as they are listed in the 65 catalogue I have but not the 1970 one.

I weighed both a regular and a Taupo version and they both come in at around 9 ounces.

The reissue models of the 80's with the "bump" on the winding plate did not include a 3 7/8" version, or if they did I've never seen one.

The most recent ones do include a Taupo model but with a check system similar to the Marquis series of reels. The new listings give the weight as 9.9 ounces.

I think the 7.5 ounce rating you were given is probably a misprint.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Hardy website provide the following info: 9.9 oz / 195 g. BUT, note that 195 grams converts to 6.89 oz.

About a year or so ago I sent an email to Hardy asking which weight was correct. I never heard back from them. Apparently they also never checked their website and corrected the error :(

At the time I decided 7 oz was too light for my purposes and thereafter just dropped the ball on pursuing a Taupo.

If somebody here can weigh an empty "new" Taupo Wide and post the weight that would be great!

Also, is the width of the "new" Taupo Wide the same as the pre-2012 Taupo (non-"wide") or does the new version have greater line capacity? What is a realistic line capacity for a 400 gr scandi head and shooting line?

·
Registered
482 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly my Perfect 3 7/8" Taupo "Wide Spool" has a 1" wide spool. Which is the same as the pre-2012 Taupo and the original Taupo. I think my reel weighs about 9 oz. The reel balances a 12' 6" 6wt Meiser C rod nicely. The check system is the same as was used in 1980's era Perfects. I don't know line capacity but It holds a 450 grain head running line and enough 30lb backing to keep me comfortable. I'm very happy with this reel and find myself fishing it more and more often.

I also have an original Perfect 3 7/8" trout model. It's a nice reel for a trout spey. This is probably my favorite reel.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I have 150 yds. of 30lb dacron on my Taupo- with 100' of floating running line, 450 to 500 grain heads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From my understanding while talking to Hardy, the “WIDE SPOOL” marking on the recent Taupos (last year or so), and the listing online and in the company’s catalogue, is purely just a name change to keep the Taupo in the Wide Spool Perfect family for consistency and marketing. There has been no size or weight changes with the modern releases, except to now have “WIDE SPOOL” marked on the most recent ones.
Hope this helps.
B

·
Dom
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done. Perfect Taupo Wide ordered. Thank you gentlemen.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Hold it there!! I have a custom Taupo, from the sixties, LHW, line guard and black finish. Yours for $350,00. Naah, just kidding.... Yours borano20

·
Registered
361 Posts
SLSS,
Thanks buddy, that's just the info I needed. Guess I need to get back in the market for a Taupo :chuckle:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts